Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Texas Girl  (Read 13384 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: Texas Girl
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 07:11:35 pm »
That's funny.  :-)

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 08:34:46 pm »
I like when people add their faces to their avatars, many people have cartoonie animations, distant images of them tending bees but few have head shots :)

Only bad thing about adding your face as an avatar is then people can do twisted things to your image. 

Not that I know anyone who would do such a thing.  :mrgreen:

yup, pretty silly!
;) probably most funny for admins (it can be a frustrating job).

man how can you do that. very funny.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 10:18:16 pm »
Now Dane.... How did you find my original image before I Photoshopped it, now THAT is embarrassing  :oops:

Please forgive me!!! 
  ahhhh, you've got your eye on me now ha??  :shock:

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 11:17:18 pm »
that's great photoshop work!  like a pro!

Brit, I have no idea what you mean.

from the latest Bee Journal:
Imagination in the hands of a beekeeper is a dangerous thing
 :mrgreen:

Sincerley,
Brendhan

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 06:22:42 pm »
Getting my 2nd hive!!  Going to pick up more bees from the chicken ranch!  I put pics on my myspace page from the first one and I'll probably do it again Wednesday.  Supposed to be 81 degrees.  It'll be nice to have Spring back.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 12:37:58 am »
Welcome brit.thebee,  :)

Hey - good info on ants this thread too.

& here's a newbee primer for forums "posting and you..." (instructional video)  ;)

That is freakin hilarious!!!!!

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline beehive lane

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 01:34:08 am »
Brit, you rock, already on your second hive! I have been jonesing for six years. Still need to wait till next spring. Now that I know it is finally going to happen,I'm loosing it. Should probably spray some sugar water on myself to chill out. I lived in Dallas, Irving and Bedford. Miss the fun had in Deep Ellum, killer Tex Mex and the blue bonnets. How is it that you jumped right into beekeeping?
Syd

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 01:42:11 am »
I've had the best luck against ants (and I hate to say I'm against them as they usually are not a problem and I leave them alone) with jelly:borax mixed 1:1.  If you know where the anthill is, put it there, if not, I try to put it where the bees can't reach it but the ants can.  I suppose a #8 hardware cloth box would work for that.  :)

I read today that in Africa some beekeepers put their hives on stands with legs.  Then they put the legs in cans filled with oil.
This is the section of the article: http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0104e/T0104E0c.htm#Natural%20enemies%20and%20posts

If anyone knows ants they would.

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 11:34:36 am »
Brit, you rock, already on your second hive! I have been jonesing for six years. Still need to wait till next spring. Now that I know it is finally going to happen,I'm loosing it. Should probably spray some sugar water on myself to chill out. I lived in Dallas, Irving and Bedford. Miss the fun had in Deep Ellum, killer Tex Mex and the blue bonnets. How is it that you jumped right into beekeeping?

The blue bonnets are fantastic right now....and Tex Mex is always fantastic!  I've always been in love with the bees...collected kitschy bee knick knacks,etc. and my grandmother, whose name was Betty, and  I both got bee charms instead of 'B' initials to wear around our necks.  And I've been reading on beekeeping forever.  Plus, I go through a ridiculous amount of honey.

I've been around a lot of cancer lately...overwhelmingly.  I didn't see any reason to not to the things I've always wanted to do.  My dad's a big pusher for that and is helping "sponsor" my new hobby.  He just became a cancer survivor and is a total advocate for not waiting to do something and then wishing you'd done it.  This is the guy who, when I was in college, said that I could always go back to school...why not focus on the band?  What dad says that?  So now both of my parents are completely interested in it and it's almost all we talk about, except the band. 

I hope the sugar water works out for you.  Wish I would've thought of that when I didn't think I could ever afford beekeeping. 

thanks for asking,
brit

Offline beehive lane

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 02:09:05 am »

Brit, I totally understand doing things you want to do, and the experience of a second chance at life. Cancer stinks...big time. My father   didn't have the strength to wield his sword, yet on the positive side, my friend, Mary  (cancer  survivor ) came out cockier than ever. I admire your gusto. My husband returned from Iraq this past year with a purple heart. An ied was detonated under his humvee. Not fun. His handsome face is now... seasoned? Men are more manley with scars!  Second chances inspire, reality checks inspire...oh, I feel a soapbox moment! Want to hear about the hives from the boothill.. yes, I am all over the forum!! How far are you from Austin? I have a family  reunion there in Nov. A chance for some awesome music and of course tex mex. You are a musician? Your father is one great guy, to understand your passion. Without our passions, we are base.

The blue bonnets are fantastic right now....and Tex Mex is always fantastic!  I've always been in love with the bees...collected kitschy bee knick knacks,etc. and my grandmother, whose name was Betty, and  I both got bee charms instead of 'B' initials to wear around our necks.  And I've been reading on beekeeping forever.  Plus, I go through a ridiculous amount of honey.

I've been around a lot of cancer lately...overwhelmingly.  I didn't see any reason to not to the things I've always wanted to do.  My dad's a big pusher for that and is helping "sponsor" my new hobby.  He just became a cancer survivor and is a total advocate for not waiting to do something and then wishing you'd done it.  This is the guy who, when I was in college, said that I could always go back to school...why not focus on the band?  What dad says that?  So now both of my parents are completely interested in it and it's almost all we talk about, except the band. 

I hope the sugar water works out for you.  Wish I would've thought of that when I didn't think I could ever afford beekeeping. 

thanks for asking,
brit
Syd

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 09:33:01 pm »
This is the guy who, when I was in college, said that I could always go back to school...why not focus on the band?

Brit,

Band?  You're in a band?  Tell us more!   :-D  I pick banjo and love music (unfortunately more than beekeeping).

Sean

Offline brit.thebee

• House Bee
    • PollenNation
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2007, 11:38:23 pm »
Band.  I'm in a band.  We're called The Ginn Sisters and play Americana Music.  We are really sisters and are mostly a national touring act.  My sister plays guitar, writes most of our songs, and sing melody while I sing harmony(most of the time, sometimes I sing melody), play the flute, melodica, and sometimes mandolin.  We go all over the place and have just released our 2nd cd, "Blood Oranges".
Check us out at www.theginnsisters.com or www.myspace.com/theginnsisters.
Our mom plays with us when we're in Texas and she kills on the banjo!  Our band is made of a pair of brothers: our manager bass player and a fantastic lead guitarist.  Oh what fun we have !  Are there any good festivals around there?

Here we are a festival in Houston.
While I do love touring and playing, I can't say I love it more than beekeeping.  I'm so new and so obsessed. 
In fact, I captured a swarm tonight.  It was the single most exciting thing I've ever done; it even tops playing with Willie Nelson.  It gave me the biggest high!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 07:24:25 am »
Oh man, now I know your nuts!  Tops playing with Willie?!?!?!  What the heck!  lol
That's pretty cool stuff man!  I used to play with a semi-pro group a few years back called The Southern Transfer Band.  Our mandolin picker was married to our bassist and the bassist got a killer job in Atlanta GA, so that killed our band.  Me and our guitar player Tommy tried to start something else but it just didnt jell like Southern Transfer did.

Festivals?  Man, too many good ones to count!  In the summer you've got Darrington which is HUGE.  There's also Stevenson but I hear that one's kind of died off a little.  Personally I really like the smaller festivals, not so commercial and not as much pressure.  I always went just for the late night jams.  Played on stage just to pay for my gas to get there for the jams.  lol

Yeah, I'm a huge bluegrass nerd.  Anything folky I dig.  Right now I'm huge into Adrianne Young & Little Sadie and the Greencards.  Gota check em out if you don't already have their CD's.

Love your music by the way!  Thanks for the links!!!  Very awesome stuff, I'll have to see about getting your CD!

Peace
Sean