Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NewBEE from S.W. Washington  (Read 1854 times)

Offline dawgdrvr

• New Bee
NewBEE from S.W. Washington
« on: August 26, 2013, 05:09:17 pm »
Hi All,

My name is Cody . Up until about a month ago, I had no thoughts about beekeeping . My wife saw a flyer for a free beekeeping class at the local library . Since then I have been reading everything that I can get on the subject , watching Youtube videos , searching Craigslist for Hives and bee related items and I Visited one of the Master Gardeners who taught the class .(she was nice enough to show off her bees ).

I am on 2.5 acres in Rochester ,Wa . Just south of Olympia. I grow Apples ,Figs, Asian Pears and Plums with a total of 60 trees . I hope to glean some info from the nice folks her before i wade into this .

Cody
Saving the world one Bee at a time.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: NewBEE from S.W. Washington
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Cody.  There are lots of threads and videos here that can be a help.  Also see if you have a local bee club they can bee a big help.  Beek is an addictive hobby.

Joe

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:11 am »
Welcome to the bee forum Cody.

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:46 am »
Welcome Cody!  I'm in TN in my 2nd year beekeeping.  This is a great forum, I have received lots of good advice.  I read everything I can about beekeeping, but nothing teaches like the real thing!  Sounds like you have the perfect place for a bee yard, so my advice is jump in with both feet this spring, & you will have a blast!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:00 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline JanO

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:27:56 pm »
Hi Cody.  We're practically neighbors.  I'm just south of you in Lewis County.  In the spring we'll be  starting up our first hive and like you, I've been reading everything I can and looking for equipment.  We also plan to join the local beekeepers association and I'm looking for a class that we can take before spring.  There is one starting this month in Chehalis, an apprentice program, but due to another commitment I'm unable to take it at this time. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and maybe I'll see you around sometime. 

Jan

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:46:19 pm »
you guys probably know that your package and nuc orders usually need to go in around February?  some folks don't know and we always have a few eithr scrambling in spring or disappointed that they can't find anything.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:18:39 am »
Greetings Cody, your fruit trees won't be lacking for pollinaters if decide to start bk'n. Good luck.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »
Welcome to the bee forum Cody.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 03:01:32 am »
Welcome, Cody!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

anything