Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laying workers  (Read 5566 times)

Offline comish29

• Brood
Laying workers
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:12:37 am »
How do you confirm you have a laying worker?  And when you do, how do you "right" the colony, so that you end up with a worker-laying queen?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline comish29

• Brood
Re: Laying workers
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:05 pm »
Thank you Michael

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:57:32 pm »
I shake them out and put the combs on another hive. I don't worry about those bees I put them back to work as foragers for another hive. I don't think  it is how many boxes of bees I have, it is how many working hives with laying queens I have.. Without a queen you have a box of dying bees that will all be dead in a month.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:59:09 am »
http://beeinformed.org/2011/05/laying-worker-2/drone-brood-from-laying-worker-2/

this is what it looks like.  i shake them out and let them join other hives.  put the old hive away so that they can't return to it.  they will boost the numbers of the other hives.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beeghost

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
I do the same thing.............just shake them out to join other hives. I have done two shake outs of my own hives this year and recently shook out a garden tractor tire removal as they had a laying worker as well, that was a bummer as it was a feral hive.

You can also add a frame of open brood/eggs each week for three weeks, but I personally opt for shaking them out then do a split of a strong hive back into the "empty" hive in a week or two.
Coyote Creek Bees - Est.2011

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »
We do not usually shake out and "store" the boxes and comb. You still need to place the comb somewhere since you have honey, many unhatched drones, etc., to do something with. So we place the laying worker colony on top of a stronger colony and do a newspaper combine.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/badbeekeeping.html

Read the part about laying worker colonies.

You also run the risk of having many bees bum-rushing another hive when shaking out bees, having the queen balled for protection from her own bees, and fighting. We find the newspaper combine the least impacting and risk in dealing with laying workers, with the smallest chance of something going wrong.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline gundalf

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »
I have the same laying worker problem and plan to add a frame of brood weekly for a while to see if I can right it...   What do I do with the frame that I remove?   Place it in the queen right hive that I stole the good frame from???   Help!!!
Good fences make good neighbors...   If that don't work, "Remember the Alamo"...     
http://picasaweb.google.com/1bigyeti/BeesOTheShire#

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
I have the same laying worker problem and plan to add a frame of brood weekly for a while to see if I can right it...   What do I do with the frame that I remove?   Place it in the queen right hive that I stole the good frame from???   Help!!!

Yep.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:02:29 am »
I have the same laying worker problem and plan to add a frame of brood weekly for a while to see if I can right it...   What do I do with the frame that I remove?   Place it in the queen right hive that I stole the good frame from???   Help!!!

So you have a hive with no new brood being produced for at least the past 31 days. Probably many drones, and far less nurse bees. And this is the hive you now encourage to raise a new quality queen?

Ok...so you move over a  frame for lets say...the next three or four weeks. They do eventually raise a queen after the brood shuts down the laying workers, which will take time. This queen is raised, goes out and mates, and now lays eggs, which takes 21 days to develop. Another 10-12 days to become productive field bees. able to contribute to the hive.

What are we talking about? Mid-August before you turn this hive around? How many visits, frames of brood, and resources are going to be used? You run the risk as the summer goes by from robbing, small hive bettles, and disease taking foothold. Right now, you have a disfunctional colony. With everything out of whack.

As Steve said.....Good luck! You might actually need it.

There has to be a better way.  ;)

Please keep us informed as this plays out. It might be interesting.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything