Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Langstroth Dimensions Correct?  (Read 4792 times)

Offline markonsite

• New Bee
Langstroth Dimensions Correct?
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:05:13 pm »
I have purchased my lumber and materials but here's my problem.

1) The Langstroth plans I have from beesource show an external dimension of 19 7/8"L X 6 5/8"H. The internal dimension is 18 3/8"L a difference of 1 1/2". In the deatail they are shoing an additional 3/4" board on the inside which should create the frame rest, but the problem is they show a 3/8" deep frame rest, 5/8" to the top of the box, and 3/8" thickness, the numbers don't add up.

2) Also, I'm building all mediums which should have an overall height of 6 5/8", less the 5/8" for the frame rest, leaving 6". The frames are 6 1/4" which would leave them sticking out the bottom of the box.

3)If the Langstroth measurements I have are correct do all the boxes rest on only 3/8". Seems like this might be a little tricky to line up?

4) Using all mediums/10 frames, what would be the best frame/foundation to use. I want to use a 4.9mm small cell foundation because I like the info from MB, Brian, and others regarding mites, diseases, etc...

Thanks for allyour help!
Mark

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Langstroth Dimensions Correct?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:09 pm »
I have purchased my lumber and materials but here's my problem.

1) The Langstroth plans I have from beesource show an external dimension of 19 7/8"L X 6 5/8"H. The internal dimension is 18 3/8"L a difference of 1 1/2". In the deatail they are shoing an additional 3/4" board on the inside which should create the frame rest, but the problem is they show a 3/8" deep frame rest, 5/8" to the top of the box, and 3/8" thickness, the numbers don't add up.

I never paid attention to those inner numbers. Use the out side dimensions and you will be ok.
If you look really close at the measurements in the circle, you will see that the frame rest is 5/8" deep. The 3/8" is the width of the frame rest, and the width of what is left of the wall. The 3/4" is the thickness of the board before cutting and where it is joined together. You have the option of cutting the frame rest all the way across or not. It is easier to do it that way.

2) Also, I'm building all mediums which should have an overall height of 6 5/8", less the 5/8" for the frame rest, leaving 6". The frames are 6 1/4" which would leave them sticking out the bottom of the box.

I didn't build any mediums, but I would hazzard a guess that is the depth needed on the frame for the bee space when sat on another hive body. I could be wrong on that one. You might need to make adjustments to it

3)If the Langstroth measurements I have are correct do all the boxes rest on only 3/8". Seems like this might be a little tricky to line up?

That 3/8" is only on the frame rest side. The other two sides have a full 3/4" to play with.

4) Using all mediums/10 frames, what would be the best frame/foundation to use. I want to use a 4.9mm small cell foundation because I like the info from MB, Brian, and others regarding mites, diseases, etc...

Then go with 4.9mm.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 12:25:34 pm »
In the deatail they are shoing an additional 3/4" board on the inside which should create the frame rest,

Are you talking about that 3/4" cleat  :?

That is on the outside for a handle.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline markonsite

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:59:54 pm »
Jerrymac, you said to go with the 4.9mm? What brand, manufacturer, type? Should I go with the fully drawn Super Cell, Dadant has 4.9mm plastic wax coated but in deeps only? Not sure what to do here.

Thanks for the help!
Mark

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:08:20 pm »

The numbers do add up correctly on the plan.   The difference between the inside and outside should be 1 1/2".   3/4 + 3/4 = 1 1/2".    I think you are reading the plan wrong about the end pieces.  It is only a single 3/4" board on each end.   They are showing a RABBET on the end pieces that is 3/8" wide, and 5/8" deep.  This rabbet is into the 3/4" board, not an additional board nailed on.   So what you need to do is use a router or a dado saw blade to make a notch in the top of the end boards.    I hope this clears it up for you.   The frames rest inside the rabbet.  So at the very top of the box, the end boards will only be 3/8" wide. 

They will be held up 7/16" by the top bars, which fits into the area of the 5/8" rabbet.  The remaining 5 13/16" will fit into the 6" area below the rabbet.  They will fit in the boxes with a little room to spare at the bottom.

The end boards are 3/8" at the top, but the bottom of the box above will be 3/4.  Its not hard to line up, just line up on the outside surfaces. 

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 03:26:29 pm »
One thing you must be very aware of and have to strongly take in consideration is the beespace. To big you get burcomb, too little you get  propolish. Both things bad when it comes to handle the box in real.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 03:50:36 pm »
They will be held up 7/16" by the top bars, which fits into the area of the 5/8" rabbet.  The remaining 5 13/16" will fit into the 6" area below the rabbet.  They will fit in the boxes with a little room to spare at the bottom.

Yeah, That's it.... My brain was still asleep this morning.

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 04:01:51 pm »
One thing you must be very aware of and have to strongly take in consideration is the beespace. To big you get burcomb, too little you get  propolish. Both things bad when it comes to handle the box in real.

When following the plans that the original poster is refering to, it leaves 3/16" above the frames, and 3/16" below the frames.   Therefore, when boxes are stacked, it will have a beespace of 3/8" between the upper and lower frames, which seems to be right on. 

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 04:19:21 pm »
The poly LS boxes I have been using have all the beespace on top. I have had no problems using that. I was more reffering to the space from frame to wall. I know that different  manufactures can differ in fabrication standard.