Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: rooster soup  (Read 9422 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
rooster soup
« on: November 24, 2008, 03:18:28 pm »
I was wondering if there's a good way of dealing with an aggressive rooster aside from making chicken soup.  Whenever I bring the chickens some scraps he's always more interested in me than the food.  I don't care if the stupid thing is scared of me, but if he tried to peck me again he's going to get stomped on.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: rooster soup
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 03:30:17 pm »
I was wondering if there's a good way of dealing with an aggressive rooster aside from making chicken soup.  Whenever I bring the chickens some scraps he's always more interested in me than the food.  I don't care if the stupid thing is scared of me, but if he tried to peck me again he's going to get stomped on.

I have to use a cane when walking (upgrade from the motorized wheelchair I used to require) so when I'm in the chicken or goat pen, I use it as an animal prod.  1 caution, when using a prod on chickens tap them smartly on the wings, a head swat can mean chicken soup.  After a few times the rooster will repect your space.  Right now he considers the chicken pen is domain and the ruler there of, a few taps from a prod will convince him he's 2nd in the pecking order.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:08:53 pm »
A few years back i had  Buff Orpington rooster that was aggressive and one day hit me in the back of the legs when i wasn't looking.  I spun around and he came again.  I kicked him about 10 yards and as he shook it off  he realize HE was now under attack.  He ran and hid under the barn ramp until dark and never did it again.  Some times they just dont understand the pecking order and need to have it explained to them

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:01:45 pm »
Ok.  Next time he wants trouble I'll just punt him and see what happens.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:29:41 pm »
Ok.  Next time he wants trouble I'll just punt him and see what happens.

I see a "Funniest Home Video" somewhere in the making... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:21:07 pm »
1 caution, a head swat can mean chicken soup. 

Many years ago when I was much younger than today, There was this rooster that came from nowhere and decided the area around where I lived made a good home. I quickly became tired of being woke up really early and decided to do him in. I swatted him in the head with a shovel and tossed his jerking body into a twenty foot hole used to dispose of and burn trash. It was still smoking from the previous days burn. Even had a grate over the top to keep people from falling in.

Two days later I was awaken early in the morning by this same rooster.  :shock:

Needless to say, I took no further action.

Never figured out how he got out of the hole.  :?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:39:04 am by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:24:28 pm »
We had a silkie rooster that my daughter named Mr Pimple.  He would always attack us & I punted him a few times.  She got mad & used blackberries to dye him purple.  After that if he would hear her voice he would run & hide his head..under the barn, in buckets...the funniest was a #10 can...you could pick it up & his butt & tail feathers were out the top like an ice cream cone! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »
..... :).....Mr PIMPLE????.... :-D

your friend,
john

Offline BRIANCJ

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »
I always found a squirt gun worked well.A few times of getting wet seemed to deter

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 02:16:53 am »
Well.  I brought the chickens a treat and that rooster started his antics again.  He came at me with his neck feathers raised intent on biting my leg.  He got intimately acquainted with my shoe and chased into the chicken house and that seems to have gotten him aware of the fact that he's not the boss.  I went back a couple hours later and he just stared at me.  I opened up the pen and he took off for the roost.  The only problem now is my mom was apparently intent on cooking him and now it's hard to differentiate him from the other rooster.  If he starts acting up again I'll grab him and put some sort of tag on his leg labeled "chicken soup" or "chicken dumplings".  He really seems like he takes good care of his girls, but aggression towards people is completely unacceptable and a quick way to death for any pet or livestock in my book. 

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:40:59 am »
I always found a squirt gun worked well.A few times of getting wet seemed to deter

And it's a good way for cats, dogs, or anything else. It worked on the kids for a few days in the past, but now its a game... :roll:  If you fill with vodka, you can shoot yourself.  :-D But the wife said I had to stop that with the kids... :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:21:11 am »
The problem that I've seen is that they learn the pecking order....until a little kid comes over.  Then it isn't so pretty....
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 11:17:42 am »
We had a silkie rooster that my daughter named Mr Pimple.  He would always attack us & I punted him a few times.  She got mad & used blackberries to dye him purple.  After that if he would hear her voice he would run & hide his head..under the barn, in buckets...the funniest was a #10 can...you could pick it up & his butt & tail feathers were out the top like an ice cream cone! J

Oh Jody, I clearly remember you telling us about this rooster and the purple dye.  I thought it funnnneeee when I firstly heard it, and I find it funny now.....imagine that, eh?  Kids have the most wonderful sense of humour, gotta love it!!!  I wish that I could see a picture of this rooster with his head in that bucket, I bet he looked so funny, loving every minute of it.

My Mother had a rooster that was so bad he could drill a hole in a rubber boot.  I always wondered where that rooster went, hee, hee.

I sure do have to agree.  There is no place for any kind of man-bird that thinks he owns the chicken/duck/turkey yard, they need to know they are second in that order.....Have a great day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 11:25:23 am »
I see how it is only women can own a chicken-duck-turkey yard :-D

There is no place for any kind of man-bird that thinks he owns the chicken/duck/turkey yard, they need to know they are second in that order.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 04:59:45 pm »
Oh Irwin!!!   8-) ;) :) :) :)  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 07:52:12 pm »
The problem that I've seen is that they learn the pecking order....until a little kid comes over.  Then it isn't so pretty....

I found this to be true with sad results early last month.

My parents came down to visit us from Toronto. They'd never been to our new place and just bought 5 acres or so of their own and wanted a feel for what it takes to tend acreage when they eventually build on theirs.

My practical mom and soft-hearted father and my family were all out in the back looking at trees and the geese and ducks and chickens when I heard my 2 year old daughter start to cry. A big barred rock rooster was jumping at her with his spurs in bleep fighting fashion.

Having none of that I chased it up into the coop, smacked it in the head with a wooden stake, grabbed it by the neck and spun. Aggressive animals will not be in my yard.

I came out holding it by the neck and said something smart like, "I feel like chicken tonight". My soft-hearted father couldn't decide whether to faint or be ill. He's very into the Buddhist mindset of live and let live.

So, I had to have a half-hour long discussion with him about what living with livestock means and all was good in the end, but I don't think they will keep any roosters when they finally move onto their new property. Maybe a hen or two, but no roos.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 12:01:42 pm »

There is no place for any kind of man-bird that thinks he owns the chicken/duck/turkey yard, they need to know they are second in that order.
Cindi I hope that you know that I was just giving you a bad time like JP dose with the rock pile I mean no harm  :-D :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »
Cindi I hope that you know that I was just giving you a bad time like JP dose with the rock pile I mean no harm  :-D :-D

Oh Irwin, you know that I know.  I know that you know from reading all the posts, that teasing is a most healthy and wonderful part of our forum.  We are all friends, we tease the living daylights out of each other, and believe me......that is a wonderful and most great thing.

So Irwin!!!  Bring it on!!!  I can take anything that you throw at me, and so can all us other women on this forum, hee, hee, we are all tough old birdies and teasing only fires us up -- and makes our day  8-) 8-) 8-) :) :) :)  Have that great, most wonderful day, health.  Cindi

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2008, 07:28:17 pm »
I use the older roosters for Brunswick stew. If the younger ones are the meat type, fry those.
If not the meat type, same as the old ones.
Most all roosters will be aggressive after some age.
Don't fret. The pecking is not what to fear. When they want to flog you with the spurs is when it gets nasty. That is when you need caution around strangers and especially young children.
Roosters are not the only ones to watch. Those setting hens can be nasty also.
so can the Guinea fowl when they have young.
Any one have experience with Ganders? !!!OUCH!!! :roll: :)doak

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2008, 07:58:24 pm »
I'm just getting caught up with all these posts and ran across this one, reminds me of this lady we all know that had this particular duck...

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything