Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Laurel MS  (Read 2182 times)

Offline abynum1

• Brood
Hi from Laurel MS
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:48:25 pm »
Hello everyone.Thinking about beekeeping on a small level for honey production. I LOVE wild honey!
I don't know anything about the hobby other than what I've been reading in "Beekeeping for Dummies."
Looks like I may be too late in the season to get started, so I guess I'll be ready for next year when it rolls around  :)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Hi from Laurel MS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:14:30 pm »
Welcome!  I know that the location hopelessly lost is terminally cute, but it makes it really hard for people to advise you what to do!  Beekeeping is local and I have no business advising someone from Florida on most issues.  Conversely, someone from the far south has not much to offer me concerning many of my issues.  If you are far south, it is indeed too late this year to do much but learn to feed bees and learn what a robbed out hive looks like.  If you are in Maine or Vermont or Ontario, iit may not be too late to keep bees this year, but it probably is.  I plan on starting colonies in a few weeks for the soul purpose of wintering them over.  but hopelessly lost as you are, start reading old posts from the beginning of the year and follow activities thru the season.  You can learn a lot that way.  Learn to listen when Michael Bush or Danno or bluebee or bjornbee and many others talk about subjects.  Tend to take with a grain of salt any post beginning with "I am new too" or "My mentor says".  A lot of fun to be had here.  Vance

Offline abynum1

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:20:26 pm »
Lol, I have no idea why it has "hopelessly lost" as my location. Per my thread title, I'm from Laurel MS.
Thanks for the advise!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:28:41 am »
Welcome to the forum abynun1. Vance, if you start them this early you better have some extra nucs built. You'll end up pulling frames out to keep them from swarming on you. I started mine early last year and ended up making extra nucs out of the over populated ones. This year I will wait till until the second week in July.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:34:35 am »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 10:58:30 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Your not too lost, I am just outside Ovett.  Had grand kids here tonight is why am not at monthly bee meeting.  It is held usually the 4 saturday night and the Dixie electric building in Laurel.  My phone # 344-7389 give me a call.  Several beek in jones and surrounding counties.

Joe