Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ground hog in a tree  (Read 6500 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Ground hog in a tree
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:24:18 am »
Am I the only one that never seen a ground hog in a tree?  My dog treed this one.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: Ground hog in a tree
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:43:19 am »
   Normally the trees I see them in are horizontal and resting. :lol:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:30:22 am »
I remember when I was about 10 I was digging into a burrow that I thought rabbits were in (I wanted a bunny).

All of a sudden this big ol' woodchuck came shooting out and went up in a tall, slender tree over the crick.  Since we had a bit of problems with digging woodchucks, I got my sister and she shot it down with a pellet gun, and it landed in the crick.  Our dog and our neighbor's dog then surrounded it and it took the dogs about 10 minutes to kill it.  I remember that thing hissing and snarling, it really gave the dogs a run for their money!
Rick

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 02:57:37 am »
Groundhogs are so cute!  I always wanted one as a pet, but doubt they would make very nice pets.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »
    Something just struck me.  Does this make it a Tree hog? 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:21 pm »
Groundhogs are so cute!  I always wanted one as a pet, but doubt they would make very nice pets.

I used to think so too. Then two moved into my yard and have eaten and destroyed about 1000 dollars woth of fruit trees and plants. Not including my neighbors koi pond which they burrowed next to and it collapsed into there basement window and into basement w/ hundreds of gallons of water.

They do climb trees. I often see them in a small apple tree I have eating the top fresh leaves in spring. I also see them in my ornamental cherry.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:29:37 am »
I used to think so too. Then two moved into my yard and have eaten and destroyed about 1000 dollars woth of fruit trees and plants. Not including my neighbors koi pond which they burrowed next to and it collapsed into there basement window and into basement w/ hundreds of gallons of water.

I've also thought they'd make a fine stew... just throwing that out there as a possible solution...  :-D

Every groundhog I've ever seen eventually decides to get itself run over, usually toward the middle or end of the summer.  I don't know what it is that lures them into the road then, but they are for unknown reasons, drawn to it like lemmings to a cliff.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:48:47 am »
Oh My!! Koi pond in the basement?? :shock: The neighbors should be getting out their slingshots, trebuchet, rocks...bows & arrows...don't dogs chase em??  Bet they taste like chix!! :evil:  It may be the moon cycles on the smushed ones...I see more animal Frisbees on the roads when there is a full moon, specially @ summers end.  I think also there are more young, dumb ones.  Late winter/early spring also for mating... Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 03:58:39 pm »
Oh My!! Koi pond in the basement?? :shock: The neighbors should be getting out their slingshots, trebuchet, rocks...bows & arrows...don't dogs chase em??  Bet they taste like chix!! :evil:  It may be the moon cycles on the smushed ones...I see more animal Frisbees on the roads when there is a full moon, specially @ summers end.  I think also there are more young, dumb ones.  Late winter/early spring also for mating... Jody

Jody- my neighbors are vegans. It was one of those very funny neighbor incidents the day his koi pond collpased. Here, I'll give you the scenario....

Husband-Dan- I am going to kill that #%^$&$^#&^$^
Wife-Ariel- You can't, we're vegans!
Dan- I am not going to eat it, I am going to kill it!!!!! That &^$&$&^$&^%##&*%*&$
Ariel- Please dont
Dan- It killed Bozo(name of very old koi her grandfarther had given her).
Ariel-That no good^%$#&^%$&^, How are we going to kill it!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 05:15:21 pm »
    Something just struck me.  Does this make it a Tree hog? 

Nope.  Then it's a woodchuck!! :-D
Rick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 05:18:04 pm »
We used to have a bit of a garden a ways behind our house, and my sisters would be in charge of caring for it.  They always took the pellet gun with them to shoot any woodchucks trying to eat the veggies, and they shot a lot of them.  Once they ran out of pellets and my 14yr sister clubbed one over the head to death with the butt of the gun!  I still can't quite imagine that.
Rick

Offline KnewBee

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:46 am »

Jody- my neighbors are vegans. It was one of those very funny neighbor incidents the day his koi pond collpased. Here, I'll give you the scenario....

Dan- I am not going to eat it, I am going to kill it!!!!! That &^$&$&^$&^%##&*%*&$
Ariel- Please dont

So funny.  They shouldn't feel badly,  though.  Groundhogs are vegan,  also. 
Groundhogs have very tough skins,  or so I'm told.  Old-timers use to skin them and cut thier cured hides into strips to make bootlaces that would last nearly forever.  After pricing a pair or store bought laces at Tractor Supply for almost 7 dollars,  I may just see if all that's true.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »

Ariel- Please dont
[/quote]

So funny.  They shouldn't feel badly,  though.  Groundhogs are vegan,  also. 
Groundhogs have very tough skins,  or so I'm told.  Old-timers use to skin them and cut thier cured hides into strips to make bootlaces that would last nearly forever.  After pricing a pair or store bought laces at Tractor Supply for almost 7 dollars,  I may just see if all that's true.
[/quote]
 Hee Hee..snicker, thats funny! I do feel for the koi.  I love mine, raised em from little 3"'rs, all are 10-25" now, eat out of your hands & I can pet em.  I see new bootlaces in the neighborhoods future!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 05:00:42 am »
Abe and I wanna know how to cook em and what they taste like.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 08:47:27 am »
They are very good climbers if they want to. They love Mulberrys and will climb these trees readly.  As for eating them, they smell bad so if you can get past that and still be hungry have at it.  They smell like bad moist manure fermenting in the sun

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:36:21 pm »
They are very good climbers if they want to. They love Mulberrys and will climb these trees readly.  As for eating them, they smell bad so if you can get past that and still be hungry have at it.  They smell like bad moist manure fermenting in the sun
I am conscerned how you learned this!!!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 03:56:32 pm »
I learned this from my business for the past 16 years, Wildlife Removal Services.  Removing wild animals that are causing damage to property.  I would much rather have a 12 skunks in the back of my truck than a single woodchuck

Offline KnewBee

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 01:39:02 am »

MMMMMMMMMMM Boy,  is my mouth waterin' :-D.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 01:50:42 am »
So danno... much as I try to resist, I must ask... in your experience... how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I am really sorry for that, I just couldn't resist.  I know that a woodchuck can't chuck wood, but I'm sure that if a woodchuck could chuck wood, a woodchuck would chuck wood.  I just don't know how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

Again, really sorry.