Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 9 frames in 10 frame super ?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline malabarchillin

• House Bee
9 frames in 10 frame super ?
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:49:58 pm »
If the brood box has 10 frames and you add a super that has 9 frames in a 10 frame super does this interfere with the vertical movement of the bees ? (bee space not lining up)
If I experiment with 9 frames in a 10 frame super is it ok to stack another super with 10 frames over it (for the same reason above) ?
Thanks
Mike

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: 9 frames in 10 frame super ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:28:26 pm »
As long as all your supers have the same bee space above/below the frames there is no problem.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:31:58 pm »
it is practised by some farmers here because it is thought that the bees draw out frames more and as such you get more honey.I really dont agree with that line of reasoning, but then i have never measured it.  I do it with some supers i have because although they are supposed to be 10 frame supers they are unable to hold the 10 frames. I haven't seen any evidence of it impacting the bees negatively. I usually keep the super with 9 frames on top

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:51:50 pm »
I don't know about the more honey,  but it sure does make uncapping easier.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 09:10:33 am »
In theory it would allow for more honey, there would be one less gap between frames...I assume that space would be filled with honey.

In the brood box, keep in mind that that is one less frame for them to raise brood in.  Isn't much of a problem, but not ideal either.

Rick
Rick

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:36:28 am »
I believe I have read that some people do it because they are easier to uncap and because they are drawn out more you get the same amount ( or about the same ) of honey as 10 frames.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:22:41 pm »
If the brood box has 10 frames and you add a super that has 9 frames in a 10 frame super does this interfere with the vertical movement of the bees ? (bee space not lining up)
If I experiment with 9 frames in a 10 frame super is it ok to stack another super with 10 frames over it (for the same reason above) ?
Thanks
Mike

Make sure your bees draw out the 10 frames first, then set the super up for 9 evenly spaced frames. I made the rookie mistake last year using 9 frames in the BROOD Boxes, a big no-no, but all is well now  :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »
I have seen no difference in vertical movement.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#framespacing
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin