Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member...maybe?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
New member...maybe?
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:10:27 am »
      We only have the one email address and my wife and kids have expressed an interest in joining the forum but have been blocked by email.  Is this still true or do we need to open new email addresses?  My kids aren't allowed on computer without us in the room and we are watching/reading over their shoulders when they are online.  The computer is off if we leave the house.

Mainly they have asked to get online here and my wife tried but couldn't due to email address.  Thanks!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: New member...maybe?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:41:52 am »
Create free email address for them. Use Google (Gmail) or Yahoo mail. Then they can sign up.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:55:57 am »
Yes,  a unique e-mail address is needed for the forum to properly operate.  Private messaging and response notification depend on each account having a unique email.

As Brendhan suggested, there are plenty of free email services available.  If you need an invite for Gmail, just PM me.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 04:20:58 am »
The cool thing with Gmail is that you can add a "+son'sname" after your real email address, and it'll just get sent to your inbox. The problem will be if this system accepts that or not. Some systems don't.

So for example, your son's name is Bobby. With Gmail (only), you can make up and email address for him:

youremail+bobby@gmail.com

Then you make a label called "bobby" in Gmail, and when email comes in for him, it'll be labeled "bobby".

Hope that's not too confusing. It helps when you sign up for stuff you don't want to get. Like myemail+junk@gmail.com. I put that in for the stuff I have to put an email address for, and have a filter that says to delete everything with a +junk on the end of my name :)

Regards,

Scott

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 01:01:35 am »
   Thanks!  I'll give gmail a shot first and if it comes down to it we'll just open more accounts.  They're free, but I can be quite lazy when I set my mind to it.  Thanks again!!
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:23:50 am »
Hey,

Also you could try setting yourself and wifey as 'administratrators and your spawn as individuals separately. That way only the logged in user has what they do on the screen not everyone jumbled together and as administrator you will have access to theirs, but they won't have access to yours

cheers

peter