Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Between 2 Stories  (Read 3463 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Hive Between 2 Stories
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:32:51 am »
I was asked about killing a hive between 2 stories.  Of course, he has already tried spraying them....

I told him that he could not kill with wasp spray through a small hole in the side of the house and sealing them up would just cause more problems.  I think he got the point and his wife really got the point.  She did not like the idea of rotting honey, bees, etc and attracting ants, roaches, etc.

So, of course he does not want to cut into the house.

I am going to inspect the place this weekend.  He said the bees have been there for 2 years.

I have a few questions.

If a cutout is decided on, should I go into it from the upper or lower floor?  Almost seems that cutting through the floor and putting the flooring back down would be easier than going through the ceiling and then needing to redo drywall.

A trapout is a option that I did not think of when I was talking to him.
1. What do you typically charge for a trapout.
2.  I need to consider that this person is indirectly related to the land that I keep some of my bees on so I may need consider that but a trapout sounds like it takes a lot of time and could take quite a bit of equipment. 
3.  I guess, I have read enough now to know that the honey will be robbed out once it is done. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Hive Between 2 Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:22:13 am »
I would strongly persuade for the cut-out,  it is the best option when possible.  I prefer to go in thru the ceiling because it is usually easier/less damaging to the bees.  The bees attach the comb to the bottom of the floor above, and it is more difficult to pull up the floor (and comb attached) without causing a mess/stress on the bees than working from below and removing a comb at a time.

good luck
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:28:52 am »
I second what Robo said.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:05:34 pm »
I , personally, would prefer to do sheetrock work on the ceiling than to try and redo flooring...Even if it wasn't also easier on the bees. (Mistakes are easier to cover :D)
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »

About what you said about floors...ever do it if its carpetted and you can just pull the carpet up, cut the floor and replace the carpet without any scars? (may have to get somebody with a carpet stretcher, but need to get a drywall mudder anyway...)

And I do understand about the comb being attached, thats a minus.
Rick

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:50:31 pm »
Flooring is usually at least two layers thick - more if you count carpet. And the joints should not line up. Hard to repair that alignment of joints repairing a cutout. Ceilings on the other hand are usually just one layer of sheetrock - and can easily be cut back to the center of a joist. Blown texturing can be problematic to repair...But I still prefer it to flooring. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:32:24 pm »
Either way, be careful and watch out for ductwork and wiring! I have found both in some strange places doing cutouts! Make sure you have lots of plastic to cover the carpets, floors, etc. with, as drips do happen. Close off the rooms so stray bees do not get into other rooms or sting anyoneor pets in the house.

Try to use 'gravity' to your benefit. Cut into honeycomb and it drips....rip up flooring and the broken comb causes honey to drip DOWN onto the ceiling below.

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:28:22 pm »
This is where I go against the grain, call me the odd man out but I do not like honey dripping down on me.

MG, definitely go for the cut out.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:42:40 pm »
I guess the cutout is the conclusion.  I will try for that. 

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »
This is where I go against the grain, call me the odd man out but I do not like honey dripping down on me.

MG, definitely go for the cut out.

...JP

Ahhhh, JP, we all knew that you was sweet enough not to need that honey coating! Yeah, I am with you there on the not wanting to be covered in honey! I still like taking advantage of gravity though....I guess that I am still remembering the time that I had to lie down on my belly on a floor that smelled like doggie pee 'n' poo, while I was trying to scoop out that comb between the floor and the ceiling below.  :-P

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:11:01 am »
Its certainly a personal preference thing, a good argument can be had for both options. I'm not laying in doggie poo, my sniffer is too sensitive for that abuse.

...JP ;)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:21:44 am »
just a thought, but are you very sure they are in the floor?  i had one that i thought was in the floor.  turned out that they were coming and going through a little space in the floor, but the hive was in the wall.  was glad i discovered that before messing up the floor!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:41 am »
just a thought, but are you very sure they are in the floor?  i had one that i thought was in the floor.  turned out that they were coming and going through a little space in the floor, but the hive was in the wall.  was glad i discovered that before messing up the floor!

Thanks for pointing this out.  I am just going by the homeowners information at this point and we know that could be incorrect.  I will have to confirm. 

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:03:15 pm »
I went to check out the hive between the floors yesterday and will be going in from the top (2nd story).   Going in from the 1st floor would be possible but going in from the top will mean that repairs will be minimal and can be done by the home owner rather than needing to hive a contractor to repair the ceiling, redo the popcorn ceiling and repaint.   Also the 2nd floor entry is in room that is unused vs the master bedroom on the 1st floor.

Decided to do this one for free since this man owns part of the land I keep my bees on and I drive on his property every time I go to the yard.  This one will be paid in good-will. 

May do the cutout this Sat if timing works out.

anything