Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding two more hives  (Read 1436 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Adding two more hives
« on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:01 pm »
I have one from last year, I am adding two more, how close can I put the hives, I see some commercial guys just butt them up against each other. it that ok to do?

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
Re: Adding two more hives
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:37:58 pm »
i like to have a space between mine,2 1/2 ft so when i do inspections i can get between them.when i lose 40+lbs this year i could close up the space to 2ft :-D   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:44:17 am »
Congratulations Schawee on your projected weight lose, that's really good. Slacker I think you can put the hives as close together as you like. My mentor who is 96 has his right against each other. I have mine about six feet apart. I'm hoping to move them closer together this year to fit more hives in the space.
Tim

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:14:25 pm »
i'd say it all depends on the space you have available, and if you eventually want to increase your #s even more. I pair mines so i can work each from one side but they are too close (one foot apart) to access the other side.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 03:50:00 pm »
If one hive is established and I add two new ones , would the established hive try and rob the other hives?

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:35:26 pm »
 As long as the honey flow is on I have little trouble with an established hive. I try do do splits when there is plenty of nectar around. When there is a dirth is when I have problems. Keep the entrance small on the new hives also.

David

anything