Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stings  (Read 2431 times)

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Stings
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:06:44 am »
I was just curious about what people consider a mean hive. i guess what my question is is this how many stings would be considered mean. i took out a hive out of a house on Saturday and aquired 15 + stings. part of that was that it wasn't totally nice out. i figured i better get it out because i have a line waiting for removal. anyway just got a few stings and was pondering what most people consider mean. thanks

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Stings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:13:12 am »
They seem to be a little testy when the skies aren't clear. After you get them settled down at their new place and see how they treat you on a really nice day would be the judge.

If you read one of my stories about removing bees, they got me once through the glove, but stung the gloves several times. They went after my wife, son and mother who were over 50 feet away. They were in the process of trying to swarm. But now they are much calmer. They didn't pay hardly any attention to me when I checked the hive the other day.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Stings
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:51:46 am »
i know that weather conditions affect their behavior but say it is really nice out, what would be considered and aggressive hive/how many stings would it take.  any opinions(i prefer no stings at all).

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Stings
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 10:48:15 am »
It's hard to blame a hive for being defensive when doing a cut out.  I would expect it, although occasionally you luck out and they don't get defensive.   I would not count that one way or the other.  When opening a hive on a nice day in the middle of the afternoon and immediately getting hit by 20 bees or so, I think that's too hot, but then I'd still look to see if they've been disturbed by a skunk or if they are queenless before jumping to conclusions.

How many times I get stung is not the measure of hot.  I might not get stung at all, but if there are a lot of bees hitting my veil and marking me with alarm pheromone, then I think I have a problem.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Stings
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 10:33:34 pm »
I would include the distance from the hive, and the number of bees that  continue the threatening behavior.  Any number of things may make them boil out.  Larger hives are more defensive, colonys that are on the edge of swarming and fidgity, south winds, or the nectar flow ends abruptly, nighttime visits from the local critters, etc.  But if I decide that today really wasn't that bad,  and  they chase me all the way to shelter, I consider the queens future  in doubt.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Stings
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 11:13:45 pm »
True, how far away you are when they start to bother you and how far they follow are part of it.  Although I've seen the Russians head but more and follow further but not sting any more than others.  One test is just run you hand across the top bars.  If the bees just look up at your hand and stay put they are probably ok.  If a lot of them fly up at your hand, it's probably too hot.  Of course, any hive is hot too late in the day, or in the rain.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Stings
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 12:10:15 am »
I haven't tried the Russians out.  The carniolans either.  I guess I'm just comfortable with my hogs at the trough.  Their hoarding instinct keeps them productive, and since for now, I'm mostly a suburban beekeeper, as people keep planting for color and effects in their yards, my bees seem to be doing well.  When I set some colonys out, I'll requeen with a more frugal bee.  But for now, I can't afford bees that harrass the neighbors, or that are eager to swarm.  My neighbors barely tolerate me now!! bahahahahahhahahaha