Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finally---------  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
Finally---------
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:55:10 am »
After 2 years of prep and study I am finally going to get my bees. I was planning on keeping them at my house but decided against it at the last minute last year. Now I have a guy that is going to let me keep them on his ground, he is happy to have some bees coming. I have 2 packages  which will be here in April. Got all my equipment and woodenware almost ready. Just need to paint.  Sure is nice when a plan comes together!!  Can't wait-------Todd

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
Re: Finally---------
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:21:48 am »
congrats and best of luck to you
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:54:50 am »
Why did you decide against keeping them at your house?

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05:27 pm »
How exciting, Buzzen!  There's nothing like your first packages!  If you're not keeping them at your own place, remember the camera!

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »
With concerns of the wife and neighbors I figured it wasn't worth it keeping them here.  They will be 15 minutes away.....not too bad. And Yes i will have my camera!  Thanks everyone!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:34:37 pm »
Congrats Buzzen and welcome to your next addiction. Them girls tend to pull you in but can think of many worst addictions to have. In time you may be able to get your other half and neighbors to come around. Good Luck !

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:30:20 pm »
They are much more fun in your backyard... even more fun in your living room...
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesobservationhives.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 11:36:20 pm »
I have mine on a friends property up the block from me. He has 20 acres and I have them in a secluded spot away from everything.
I could have them on my own property (I have 3 acres), but still there are neighbors to think about. I understand your feelings.

One of these days, I plan on placing a TBH onto my deck right outside my living room window so I can watch them all day.

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:34:57 pm »
My bees are in plain site from the house windows, and there are two chairs sitting right by the hive.  My wife went with me to pick up our first nuc, and by the time we were home she had adopted them all.  While I originally thought I woudl be doing this on my own, it has turned out very different.  We have spent many hours in the chairs just a few feet from the hives.  It is our favorite place to talk and decompress.

I wish you all the luck with the upcoming packages.  It has turned into something very enjoyable for us, and I hope the same for you.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 04:39:34 pm »
Feed, feed and then feed some more. Good luck on them and it IS an addictive hobby (for me its still a hobby-long term hopefully a sideline). Your friends will eventually start avoiding you because all you will want to talk about is honeybees  :-D

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:09 pm »
We live on .82 - have 5 - 7 hives.  I was also concerned about the neighbors.  What I have found is that the hives have only brought interest to the neighborhood.  No complaints from anyone at all. Just lots of questions.  I do share my honey with those who stop to inquire.  I also make sure the bees have fresh water in the summer so they don't visit the neighbor's swimming pools.  But no problem at all.
We love the girls...