Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trespasser left me hive open  (Read 3338 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
trespasser left me hive open
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:54:31 pm »
yesterday I moved some hives out of a location the has a problem with deer hunting trespassers.  the season opens next Sat.  I didn't have room for one last so  left it until today.  I went there this morning and some jerk probably scouting for a place to hunt opened it and left it that way.  It had to have happened yesterday afternoon so it sat open with temps in the high 20's all night.  Luckly we didn't get the 6" of snow that there was a chance for.  Hope they will be allright.  I can only hope they were awake enough yesterday to teach him to keep his nose out of other peoples property

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: trespasser left me hive open
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »
Your clusters should be at their largest numbers going into winter. If this had happened in January, I think the possibility of loss would be much greater. But as is, they are probably fine, as long as the cluster stayed intact. It is actually amazing sometimes what they can endure.

Sorry to hear about this.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:50 pm »
that sucks , hope they got the crap stung out of them.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:39:16 pm »
I too was wishing that whoever done it got many stings. :evil: Now the gears in my mind are working up something...
OK, I was thinking you should put another hive body out there with someting tied to the lid so when they lift the lid off it would be similar to a jack in the box. Also a scouting camera that takes video would be a good addition to catch the whole thing on.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:58 am »
If there was no damage, then it was probably some bumbler trying to figure out what was in these boxes  :?  Once he (she) found out, they probably weren't going to risk putting the cover back on!!

Then again, I'm an optimist....
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:57:40 am »
I'm with Scadsobees.  That's what I figured.  If they were vandals they probably would have tipped it over.  If they were thieves they would have taken some honey or the whole hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:26:23 pm »
It is the objective to solve all problems before they occur, answer all questions before they are asked, and anticipate all variables, however, it's hard to remember the main objective when you're covered with bees.

Originally it was: hard to remember the main objective was to drain the swamp when A$$ deep in Aligators.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:49:34 am by Brian D. Bray »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 06:15:06 pm »
You got that right, Brian.   :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline DennisD

• House Bee
  • Catchin' the latest buzz
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:06:13 pm »
"Hey! Look at this box! It looks important, I wonder what's inside of it.. *buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz* Never mind, RUN"! :lol:

Offline DennisD

• House Bee
  • Catchin' the latest buzz
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 04:14:04 pm »
On an amusing note, well, amusing to me.

There is a horse boarding stables a block away, the folks that rent stalls there "were" always trespassing on my property no matter how many times I've asked them to stop, they ride up, let their horses trample through the pond in my back yard, they seemed to think it was funny to torment my dog and allow their kids to knock down the dam I have in place as I have wild ducks visit the (Fed by a stream) pond yearly, so, repairing the dam has been a continual matter. Now that I have placed a few bee hives in my back yard, my property is unmolested and my dog seems much happier. So, my bees in addition to their other duties have added "GUARD BEE" to their job titles. Good girls! *evil smile* Good girls.....

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 04:15:24 pm »
"Hey! Look at this box! It looks important, I wonder what's inside of it.. *buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz* Never mind, RUN"! :lol:

This is just what i hoped happened!!   Run Forest Run!!!!!
I moved it home the next day and they were still alittle testy

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:55:58 am »
It is the objective to solve all problems before they occur, answer all questions before they are asked, and anticipate all variables, however, it's hard to remember the main objective when you're covered with bees.

Originally it was: hard to remember the main objective was to drain the swamp when A$$ deep in Aligators.

Well said.