Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I left a few frames as "bait" for SHB.  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
I left a few frames as "bait" for SHB.
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:05:00 am »
SHB is making a mess of my life. Anyway, after the last disaster, I took a couple of fouled frames that I had frozen to rid it of the zillion or so nasty maggots and but them back in a NUC box. A couple weeks later, I went back to it and, sure enough, it was squirming again. Off to the freezer it went. My poor wife just gags when I do this. All the gross larva pile outta' the frame and start falling all over the frozen corn, bean, hamburger. The things she puts up with......
I wonder if this would be a part of the over-all control a person might use. No need to say "your attracting SHB's to your apaiary". Oh, believe me, it would make little difference. I am over-run with the filthy things.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: I left a few frames as "bait" for SHB.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:15 am »
EEWWWWW!!!  :-P  I'm with your wife.  :-x  For your next present giving holiday you would get one of those small freezers...your very own!!  Then you could put disgusting items in to your hearts content!!! Keep it in the garage, carport or whatever, just not in the house...**buhhh***shiver**** makes my skin crawl to think about it...I wouldn't even wait for a holiday..you would get it early!!! :-x  Think about it, everyone wins, you don't have to listen to what I know she is saying (probably in a strident tone) & she isn't grossed out!!!   Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »
The 13 gallon small kitchen garbage bag is the thing to put the frames in for the freezer.
doak

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:55:18 pm »
Just bag it  :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 06:33:03 pm »
Not in a bag, with a flag or in some slag by a hag...Nope, nope nope..not in the food freezer... :-x they might squiggle out somehow...**shiver** those type things just really creep me out!!! :-P  No problem eating lunch w/daycare kids..green snot bubbles & all that, can clean ducks, fish etc...shovel poo..love spiders, snakes, all bugs most all animals..Dr G medical examiner & discovery health w/200 lb tumors bury bits & pieces of things raccoons tear apart..oh yes, the possum that fell in the old pond that got covered by fairy moss...I wondered why my koi weren't hungry..when I discovered it it was like a raw egg...1/2 eaten..that was sorta gross ;)  Funny what creeps different people out!  OOhh, clowns & monkeys****shiver***those too!  Time to check the hives to see if I have any queens left!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:48:40 am »
I have been getting a side benefit of getting SHB's in my moth traps.  I have them but they have not taken anything over...  I know they are attracted to 'infected' comb and it sounds like a good trap.  My wife would kill me if I didn't use a trash bag. :-P
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)