Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comb honey next year!  (Read 10513 times)

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
Comb honey next year!
« on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:27 pm »
Anyone have plans to make a comb honey super with frames for my honey bees. Thanks. :)

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
Re: Comb honey next year!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 06:53:29 pm »
Seriously? :'(

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:58:59 pm »
I just use a foundationless super (usually deeps because I use a 4" cutter). If you want to fool around with Ross rounds you need to buy their system.

Just put whatever size super you want on 'em without foundation or at least without wired foundation and cut whatever you want from it when it's capped.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »
I can add that on top of my 2 deeps next year without the foundation and it should be fine?  Thanks, Country :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:48:36 pm »
I have done cut comb honey for the last 50 + years I do it again next year LOL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:50:16 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:36 pm »
How do you do it Jim 134?

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:08:15 pm »
I have been doing foundationless. Or at least some foundationless. So some of it gets cut. I just use a knife.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:22:06 am »
>Anyone have plans to make a comb honey super with frames for my honey bees.

I do some comb honey most every year.  Usually cut comb.  I have no plans to make a comb honey super with frames for YOUR honey bees, however... ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 07:33:09 am »
I'll invent, thank you anyways, Country :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 10:59:46 am »
How do you do it Jim 134?

I do not do it the BEES do   :-D :-D

Two good books on comb honey are

How to raise beautiful comb honey by Richard Tayloy
Honey in the comb by Eugene E. Killon

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:10:25 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:14 am »
I can add that on top of my 2 deeps next year without the foundation and it should be fine?  Thanks, Country :)

Just use a starter strip of some sort or another. Grandma Dog has a video on cut comb on here now that he has taken out of a TBH.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 11:26:11 am »
I have all foundationless frames in my hives so when I harvest the full combs I take the best looking ones and use a cookie cutter type comb punch and cut the squares that you buy from the bee supply companies. I get three out of each medium and then I crush and strain the rest.
You don't have to make it too difficult.

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »
Thanks Natalie!  Now I understand Michael "YOUR bees" :lau:  I just found an old set of small frames that were my grandfathers that look like they had small 4" wooden boxes in them for comb.  Their were 2 small 10 frame supers with the frames but I only found 5 frames and no boxes for them, just slots for something on the frames.  I looked thru my dad's ABC XYZ bee book (RI Root) and it looks like the comb honey frame pics.  That is why I asked for old plans, to restore the frames to what they use to be.  Thank you all for your help.  I will probably use the supers and just get some small frames and make them foundationless or comb foundation without wire and cut comb honey from them like you all tell me.  Thanks again for all of your help! Country :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 07:45:32 pm »
CountryBee.......
 :? How tall are the boxes   6 5/8" ,5 3/4" or 4 3/4"  :?

I use all mediums 6 5/8" (10 frame boxes)

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 03:00:35 am »
I took me a while to realize you meant a set of plans.  I thought you were asking what I was planning to do... I wasn't planning to build you a super...

Anyway, any medium or shallow super will do for cut comb.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:33:40 am »
Jim 134, I will measure the supers tonight after work, thanks
Michael Bush, I thought it was just a joke on me, you know how your honey bees make honey and comb honey but maybe mine are a totaly different kind of honey bee. :-D
Thank you all for helping, when I get the measurements I will send them.  You all know what to do by cutting with a comb cutter instead of wooden boxes but I still want to restore what was there, then make more to just use a cutter like you all.  Thanks, Country :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:13 pm »
     I have use Ross Round and Section Boxes have not use  Bee-O-Pac if you like see or buy a  system look in Walter T. Kelley Co 2010 catalog on pg 36-38. All of the systems use  4 3/4" supers sum of the older one may be 4 11/16" supers.

Walter T. Kelley Co 2010 catalog on pg 41-43

http://kelleybees.com/Files/Organization3/Catalog/catalog.pdf

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:45:33 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »
Jim 134, one is 4 3/4" and the other two are 4 14/16" with metal bands on bottoms under the two sides that have the ledges for frames on them.  Maybe this helps?  Thanks, Country :)

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:22 pm »
 You'r supers are for Section Boxes There you to be two size of Section Boxes you only can get 4 3/4" today. Look at pic Walter T. Kelley Co 2010 catalog on pg 36

http://kelleybees.com/Files/Organization3/Catalog/catalog.pdf

Can you see the 2 flat tins (shown inside the super) on the bottom of the Box Comb Honey Super

http://kelleybees.com/Files/Organization3/Downloads/Complete%20Basswood%20Directions.pdf
http://kelleybees.com/Files/Organization3/Downloads/Basswood%202.pdf

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:24:24 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 09:08:17 pm »
Spring before last, I made up a bunch of frames with new wax for comb honey.  They went on the hives late and the wife wanted me to wait to cut them because she had a few jars of comb that were hard to sell from the year before.  Nobody asked for comb last year to we extracted those frames.   This year, I had several people ask me for comb honey, but I did not have new wax in any of the frames. Go figure.