Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another step for SHB control.  (Read 2908 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Another step for SHB control.
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:42:46 am »
I have found that my bees round up and chase SHB pretty well. I know that SHB lay eggs in small cracks and other inaccessible areas. I would like to know what types of materials are safe for caulking up areas like the gaps on wooden bound queen excluders. I also have Mann Lake hive top  :-D :shock:feeders the plastic twin tank type that provide lots of places for egg laying. I want to use expanding foam to completely seal off the complete underside of these things except for access to the syrup chambers.  If I give the foam time to cure do any of you think this could harm my bees? Can latex caulk be used?
Later,
Ray

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Re: Another step for SHB control.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:10:22 am »
Use the latex caulk the foam will degenerate over time.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »
Elmer's wood filler.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:00:22 pm »
I don't use that feeder, but after building a box, I put either glue or liquid nails in the joint cracks.  Smooth it down with putty knife. 

Joe

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 05:39:25 am »
Hello,

I've used any kind of silicone filler in those gaps before and the bees are still alive.  Today I bought a tub of plasti-bond which the neighbour recommended. I'd not heard of it before but apparently it has multiple uses, and bonds to a variety of surfaces. I specifically wanted it to repair a bottom board the bees chewed out, but I might start using it in other little gaps and defects in the hives.  I don't know if it's toxic, but if the bees start making rock hard honey I'll know they've been licking it.

Lone

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:09:48 am »
I mix Titebond 3 and saw dust for wood filler. You can mix the thickness you need or want!
Sirach

anything