Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cheryl, from Tucson AZ  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
Cheryl, from Tucson AZ
« on: March 31, 2009, 01:41:49 am »
Hello everyone! Thought I'd drop in and say hi. I'm new to beekeeping. I've rescued one swarm so far, only to have them abscond a week later.... I could have done a few things better, but I'm learning! Onward and forward.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cheryl, from Tucson AZ
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 03:54:21 am »
OK here you are Cheryl. Do you have any hives at all???  That was very brave to try and catch a swarm when you are totally new to this. I am trying to do the same thing. I am on a swarm list and hope to get a call very soon.

What sort of background do you have in beekeeping???  Taken any classes, read books, worked with anyone, etc.???  You will learn lots just reading the forum here. I learn something new each and every day I am on this forum.

Good luck to you and welcome to our wonderful group of people.

Sincerely
Annette from Placerville California

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:48:22 am »
Welcome to the forum Cheryl.
Always glad to see another lady being added to those to chat with. They provide some of the best insight.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:58:57 am »
Welcome aboard and good luck with the next swarm!

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:42:08 pm »
Welcome Cheryl, I hope you have better luck in the future.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »
OK here you are Cheryl. Do you have any hives at all???  That was very brave to try and catch a swarm when you are totally new to this. I am trying to do the same thing. I am on a swarm list and hope to get a call very soon.

What sort of background do you have in beekeeping???  Taken any classes, read books, worked with anyone, etc.???  You will learn lots just reading the forum here. I learn something new each and every day I am on this forum.

Good luck to you and welcome to our wonderful group of people.

Sincerely
Annette from Placerville California
Hi Annette,
I have a temporary/makeshift hive, and am in the process of building a TBH out of wood. I'm also interested in working with Papercrete, as I sideline with cement molds anyway.

I have done SOOOO much reading lately (online) and learned SO much!!! My mind is bursting but I want more. I am in love with bees. I have found my life's calling!

In my profile, I have a link to photos of the rescue I did... which is where my avatar is from :)

~ Aristotle

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:51:11 pm »
OK now it makes sense to me about the avatar.  That is the wildest looking situation ever. You makeshift hive looks to be a cooler with PVC pipes for the topbars?????

HOw long ago did you do this cutout and how are the bees doing now in that cooler?? Do they actually draw out comb from the top of the PVC pipes???

I wish you well and may all your desires be fulfilled.

Take care
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:07:17 pm »
Cheryl, welcome to our forum, and as Annette said, you are indeed one brave gal to head out to catch that swarm, my hat off to ya!!!  You think that you are in love with the honeybees now, holy smokin' cadoodalhoppers!!!  You ain't seen nuthin' yet, smiling.

Stick around, this will be a place where you can lean on us for advice.  A place to tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love to listen...you will also make some new and great friends too.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:31:33 pm »
Hehe! Well, that colony absconded. They didn't like PVC (I'm guessing) and I had laid their brood comb on the floor of the hive instead of hanging it (d'oh!).

I blogged the entire incident in another group. I should copy all that into this forum. I'll do that... first I'll find the right section and then start a new topic with my saga.

BTW, I heard a swarm go overhead today while I was working outside. I tried to see it, but couldn't. I could tell it was north of me and going west..... I went inside and grabbed my lemongrass oil and put a hefty dose of that on a paper towel and hung it from a tree (near the empty hive) with a clothespin -- because the wind was blowing in the same direction that the swarm took.

What I don't know is if they had only just swarmed, or if they had earlier and were going to a new home.

I know it seems awfully early in the year for swarms, but in my area it isn't. I had my first swarm come through in mid-February..... that is what got me started on all this. They decided to inhabit an owl nest-box I had just built and installed. At first I was irritated by it, but I couldn't believe how fast I fell in love with those bees. I started building them a real home, but they left again. I've been trying for bees ever since!!!

~ Aristotle

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 12:05:43 pm »
Hello and Welcome Cheryl
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

anything