Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help with error for win 2000  (Read 4427 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Help with error for win 2000
« on: January 09, 2008, 03:16:11 pm »
Ok I set up another computer to my network for the two extra people staying with us so they can have a computer for college. Everything was great until yesterday. When the computer boots up everything seems ok until two black boxes pop up. Both say error winnt system32 mustafx2.exe ror soething to the affect. I had to start in safe mode and install a virus scan from a flash drive. It found two trojans but I stil think there are more. I cant do anything else from the internet because an error pops up and closes IE. I cant install adaware because of safe mode. any suggestions besides wipe the hard drive?

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
Re: Help with error for win 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:38:41 pm »
I don't think there is any "good" way to get rid of viruses or Trojans without wiping the hard drive.
I'd talk to the people staying at your house and tell them to stop running torrents!  If it boots fine in Safe Mode, then you could wipe the startup from all non-required Windows services and executables, then slowly add them back one at a time until you find the one that is giving you the problem.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »
You have nastiness in your computer.
In your safe mode you are going to need to remove the mustafx2.exe.
from cnet
- go into safe mode F8 as pc boots
- Delete the mustafx and mustafx2 exe files in C:\windows and c:\windows\system32
- Open notepad and in the blank file you see click save as
- save as dummy1.txt in system32 folder
- save as dummy2.txt in system32 folder
- Explorer to system 32
- Make sure you can see hidden files and folders, File extensions and system files (Tools folder options View)
- Rename the two new files to mustafx.exe and mustafx2.exe
- hightlight them select properties and change to read only and system files (Now virus cannot remove them)
- check msconfig for 3 files in Docs and settings/all users/startup/programs/startup for 3 other files you need to delete something like eyey.exe etc
- restart windows normally. Voila

Your friends have infected computers also.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 02:03:14 am »
Great. Thanks for the info!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:12 am »
Ok I did what you siad and the computer stops rebooting. How ever, The boxes keep coming up with the same messages and then go away. I was not able to locate any eyey.exe files any where in the startup menus. I have a feeling there is a file somewhere hidden and it restarts the virus again. Any suggestions now?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:07:04 am »
Take your windows 2000 CD and do a repair install with it. If that doesn't solve it you know what's next.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 01:03:35 pm »
Now thats funny! Everything appears to be ok except for the boxes popping up at the start. I think I might just do a reinstall to get rid of any unforseen problems. First im going to make them go get a virus program first.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:19:30 pm »

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 02:22:44 pm »
Well I tried it once more and still nothing. I even downloaded smitfraudfix and it still didnt work. I did a complete reinstall.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:16:01 pm »
Kill disk is such a great program. It is like the revenage after getting a virus.