Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: VA Apiary Inspection  (Read 3745 times)

Offline PALS

• New Bee
VA Apiary Inspection
« on: September 29, 2004, 09:07:01 pm »
Found this on the VA website...   I assume we (Beekeepers or wann-bees) can call them and ask them to inspect our hives or any used equipment we are looking at buying ?? Any of the VA keepers have any experiance with them??

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/plant&pest/apiary.html

Apiary Inspection

The Virginia Bee Law regulates the movement of honey bees into the state, the sale of bees, queens, used bee equipment; and provides a means for dispatching bee disease reservoirs.

Virginia utilizes a Uniform Inspection Certificate approved by the Apiary Inspectors of America for interstate movement of colonies.

Virginia also participates in the Mid-Atlantic States Agreement which specifies inspection requirements for bee diseases and pests and allows for partial (random) inspection of apiaries that meet certain disease-free criteria.

The agreement alleviates problems of reduced personnel and budgets while maintaining control over apiaries with disease histories.

Apiary personnel are frequently called upon to give honey bee demonstrations to schools. Considerable effort is also expended at the Virginia State Fair and at other local fairs to educate the public about the importance of honey bees and pollination.
Perry
No bees or Hives, yet.
Located in Fredericksburg, VA

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
VA Apiary Inspection
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:51:36 am »
Sorry I missed this post.
But the state apirist was great very friendly and full of info.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline vabeekeeper

• New Bee
VA State Inspection
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 03:13:41 am »
Perry:  

Good luck in getting your hives and bees.  Let us know when you are ready and get assistance; both from this board and your local association.  As for VA requirements, it is my understanding that VA does not require local beekeepers to have their hives inspected.  This law, which you reference, applies to anyone wanting to transport bees into/out of VA.  As BigRog stated,  the VA State Apriaist is extremely knowledgable, helpful and will do an inspection of your hives if requested.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
VA Apiary Inspection
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 08:18:50 am »
I would recomend it.
He takes a sample of bees to check for varroa and if it is present (problably) can tell you if they are resistant to treatment. It is a good feeling even when you get some bad news as he will point you in the right direction to fix your problems as well as give you little tips about whatever he sees. He will also place a sticker on your hive to show that it has been inspected.
And it's free.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

anything