Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: quick strips and 1.5 story colonies  (Read 1729 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
quick strips and 1.5 story colonies
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »
Can I get away with using 1 quick strip on 1.5 story colonies?   Brood and queens are all in bottom boxes below excluders.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
Re: quick strips and 1.5 story colonies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
1.5 stories?  is that two boxes or what?

The label says to use Two strips per brood box.  That 'Two Strips" is based on the delivery of an exact amount of active product shown to cause the desired effect.  If you use less product than is required the product will not work according to label.  Not to say it will kill less mites but may not kill a single one of them.  It may even lead to some resistance of the product being transferred the target pest.

I would not recommend using less than the label requires.  It's a very bad practice.

Furthermore, those of us who use the strips get stuck with extra we can't use since they come in those big boxes.  Surely someone you know will have a few extra strips for you to purchase.

Good luck
Make Mead!

Offline mulesii

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:46:06 pm »
Hemlock:  Actually the instructions are not for two strips per brood box, they are two strips per hive.  If you are using that dosage, you are putting your bees in danger.  http://www.miteaway.com/uploads/3/0/7/9/3079637/maqs_application_brochure.pdf

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:59:34 pm »
I just read a label that said "two strips per brood box".  I will check again of course.  Thank you for the warning.

What i said still stands though the recommendation might change.

tic...toc..tic...toc...

Yup! it surely does!  Thanks mulesii.  Even if that's the case one strip for one box, or more, is not the required amount for treatment.  Despite my error i'll stay with the previous recommendation.

You can call (866 843 2929) to ask the manufacturer to be sure.  The number is on the container.

I still want to know what 1.5 stories mean??
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:27:22 pm by Hemlock »
Make Mead!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »
I would be willing to step out on a limb and say one deep and a medium.But even if thats the case,it should be two strips.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »
One deep and one medium is still 2 boxes. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
Two boxes is still only one colony.
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/downloads/MAQSapplication.pdf

Miteaway says you can use 1 strip for knockdown but should follow up within two months with full treatment. But you will need to pay attention to temps.

Mite Away Quick Strips™ Application.m4v

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:10:16 am »
Thanks Guys
I am a Lic Commercial Applicator dealing with right away herbicides and know that the most expensive pesticide is one that doesn't work.  I know how to read a label.   I also know that companies want to sell more and dont want there product to fail so concentrations are labeled at higher than needed doses.   When I didn't hear from anyone yesterday I googled Randy Oliver quick strips and read his test results. In his test, 25% of his test colonies got 1 strip and results were exceptable.  As for the 1 box or 2 thing, these have a excluder over the bottom deep with a honey filled, not brood filled med over it.  2 years ago I used some of these and on weak colonies I just used one.  I had good results but on to small a scale to make me comfortable doing it on all. As for the resistance statement. It could happen someday but formic has been in use for over 40 years in Europe with no resistance yet and it isn't expected  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:28:43 am by danno »