Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Lining  (Read 4118 times)

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Bee Lining
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:32:31 am »
How far do you usually see before you lose track of the bee? I've been trying to follow my bees from the hive to their feeding source and I lose sight of them after 20-30 metres (about 60-90 feet for you guys). At that rate I reckon I would need a truck load of bees to follow them very far at all.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Bee Lining
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:48:29 am »
Still seeing a honeybee flying at a distance of 60-90 feet is amazing IMO.  I loose sight of them w/in 20-30 feet and at best can only determine a prefered direction. 

Alas, the limitations of human eyesight have taken hold of this old man.

t
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:40:47 am »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:49 am »
Scott has a video of him following bees a good distance. Here:

Beelining.wmv
Shane

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:06:38 am »
The key to beelining is baby steps. Follow one bee as far as you can (even if it's only 20 ft) and move in that direction to release another bee. Of course, we're always beelining to find the colony....not the forage. Foraging bees fly in every direction!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
I watched Scott's video earlier and quite enjoyed it but he seemed to be making some good steps between release sites.

Scott, I understand that the girls will scatter a bit when going out to forage but if they are onto a good source there should be a steady stream of traffic to and fro. I live in an urban area so I was wondering what in the area was keeping my girls busy.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:57:25 pm »
A small piece of down slows them a lot and makes a bigger silhouette...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 11:26:39 pm »
Michael, sounds good but how do you attach it?

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 12:35:57 am »
Very interesting. I've never heard of this before. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 12:48:58 am »
Interesting MB, I'll have to give it a go sometime! I've used brightly colored chalk powders and powdered sugar before and they help a good bit. I've also heard of super gluing a short length of monofiliment (fishing line) to the bee but haven't had the heart to try. Seems the line shows up well in sunlight.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 12:51:29 am »
 Micheal, is the attachment point critical- and what kind of adhesive have you experimented with.  :roll: Very interesting. I'm a flyfisher and tyer thus the interest.  :bee: which way did they go
lee..

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 01:01:58 am »
   What was their distance of travel Scott, from warehouse to beeyard ?  Great video again.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 01:19:13 am »
2 1/2 miles Geoff. It actually took us two days (about 3 hrs per day) to find them. We heard from Tropical Blossom Honey that this beekeeper had been using this system to feed his bees for many years...just keeps using different  yards. We've beelined to other yards of his twice again in other towns/problems.

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 02:13:37 am »
Scott, my appologies- great video. I helped a migratory beek who extracts locally here. We double entried all entrances and double screened his roof top exhaust fan. We then reversed the motor thereby pressurizeing the honey house. Now he still will get the stray bee but 99.99% of the time NOt many. They might try it.
   lee...

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:20 am »
I would guess this will eat up some time. I wouldn't think you could be in a hurry while preforming this service. 

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:28 pm »
      Scott , you can now add the titles Detectives Scott and Peggy.  Well done, missing you folks.
                                                                                                                                      Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

anything