Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Surplus of Dahlia Seeds  (Read 9979 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Surplus of Dahlia Seeds
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:20:32 pm »
Dear Fellow Gardeners/Beeks,

I have a surplus of dahlia seeds from my flower farm. I am willing to mail off seeds to those whom are interested.

I feel most of them will be what we call "open centered" which bees go crazy for, as they come from the field harvest.

PM me your address, I will send enough to fit in a basic envelope, which is a lot!

Happy Spring!

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
Re: Surplus of Dahlia Seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 04:59:04 pm »

Hi,
Do you think I could grow them in N.Wis.?  The only dahlias i've grown were from bulbs. Would I have to start them inside? It doesn't stop freezing here untill the 1st of June. If you think I could grow them I would like to give it a try  :-D

Thanks,
Eddie
God bless Us all!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:04:52 pm »
Eddie,

They are free, give them a try if you like.  You an start them in 4" pots with light soil, Inside ( some people put them atop their refrigerator ). Let me know if you want some.

When you grow from seed, you'll have a clump of tubers at end of fall, you can divide them up if you like, share with family, friends etc!

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:15:57 pm »
Hi again,

I sent PM with my address.

Thanks again, Eddie :)
God bless Us all!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Re: Surplus of Dahlia Seed-culture tips
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:24:18 am »
Hi Folks,

I start the seeds in 4 inch pots OR you can start them in the little pony pack ( six to a pack ) or in a any kind of container.  You want to use a light potting soil, one that drains easily.  Water,but do not keep the soil wet as you do not want the seeds to rot.

One the seedling pops through, water when soil feels dry.  The plants can hang out in a 4" pot for about 4 weeks.  If your temps aren't high enough to set outside, transfer them into 1 gallon containers.

The warmer your temps the faster they will grow.

I use an all purpose fertilizer, Miracle Gro and the like is not suggested for dahlias.  Just use a 4-4-4...oraganic, a sprtiz of fish emulsion during the early growing time is fine...

PREPARING THE SITE
Dahlias do not require any more preparation than other bedding plants that you might be planting. Dahlias do well in high organic matter soils. We recommend working a 1”-3” layer of compost into the top 12”-14” of soil. You can also work in manure or a balanced commercial fertilizer at this time. Dahlias are heavy feeders and will benefit from additional fertilizer.

WHEN TO PLANT
Dahlia plants or cuttings provide the most flexibilty and the earliest start to the blooming season. They can be planted any time after the threat of frost has passed. They may be planted earlier if frost protection is provided.
Dahlia tubers should not be planted until soil temperature in the top 6 inches is at least 50 degrees. Tubers planted into cold soils will lay dormant and risk decaying before they sprout.

PLANTING YOUR DAHLIAS
The most successful method for planting dahlias is to use well established plants that are well rooted and have 2-3 pairs of leaves. Remove them from their containers and plant up to the first pair of leaves. Water them well on the day they are planted and water every 1-2 days for the first week in the absence of rain. After the first week to ten days reduce watering to weekly until they begin to actively grow.
Planting dormant tubers requires proper timing, soil temperature, and patience while waiting for them to sprout. Dahlia tubers should be set flat into a hole 4-6 inches below the soil surface with the eye pointing up. If the soil is dry, water them once on the day they are planted. Planted into wet soil they will need no additional water. Do not water tubers again until the shoots have emerged above the soil surface. This could be 2-3 weeks after planting. Dahlia tubers are very susceptible to rotting, which is why we recommend planting cuttings or plants.

PLANT SPACING
Dahlias vary widely in plant size so there is no standard recommendation for spacing. Mature dahlias are usually as wide as they are tall, so a good guideline is to plant them 1/2 their height from structures or other plants. This means planting 6’ tall dahlias 6’ apart to realize the full potential of the plants. However, to maximize bloom production, space dahlias 1/2-1/3 their height apart, leaving more space on at least one side to allow access for bloom cutting and plant grooming.

STAKING YOUR DAHLIAS
Your plants will look better and be more manageable if you plan to provide some type of support for them. Dahlia blooms can be very heavy and nothing is more depressing than having a beautiful new bloom crash to the ground because it was not staked! Stakes should be driven at the base of the plant and be 1’-2’ shorter than the expected height of the plant. Tie the primary stalk to the stake in one or two spots as the plant grows. Maintaining your plants so that they grow upright, rather than sprawling will ensure strong growth and maximum flower production.
WATERING AND FERTILIZING YOUR ESTABLISHED DAHLIAS
After your dahlias are 6”-8” tall and have 3-4 pairs of leaves you should supplement them with a water soluble nitrogen fertilizer. It is best to apply it by dissolving it in a watering can and dispensing a meaured amount to the base of each plant, or by injecting it directly into drip or soaker hose at the base of the plants. This should be repeated every 3-4 weeks through the season until about one month before the first expected frost. This will maximize their growth and flower production, creating strong plants with strong stems.
If your soil is sandy you should water lightly every 3-5 days. If your soil is heavy and has a lot of organic matter you can water every 7-10 days. Large, mature plants require more frequent watering than small plants. Dahlias do best if the foliage is kept dry. Occaisional overhead irrigation is ok to wash off plants or incorporate fertilizer. Wet blooms are prone to disease and can cause plants to topple. If your plants appear to be wilting increase the water frequency. Afternoon wilting on extremely hot days is natural as long as the plants appear to recover in the evening after the temperature has gone down.

GROWING DAHLIAS IN CONTAINERS
Dahlias do very well when grown in large pots or garden boxes. This is a good strategy if you have limited space, want to use dahlias as patio decorations, or if gophers are a serious problem. They do best in containers that hold at least 12”-14” of potting medium. Smaller containers will require more frequent watering.
Always used the highest quality potting mix that you can find. If your container dahlias are regularly wilting even when watered regularly, move them to a location with less afternoon sun to keep them from overheating.

CUTTING BLOOMS
Dahlias are the perfect cut flower producer. They respond to cutting by producing more blooms. Dahlia plants that have blooms removed regularly will produce more blooms than those that have blooms left on the plants. When cutting blooms from your dahlias take a fairly long section of stem. Plants cut back fairly hard will produce stronger regrowth from further down the stalk than if just the bloom is cut. Dahlias blooms are borne in clusters of three. Some growers choose to remove the two side buds to promote the size of the terminal bud. This is purely personal. You may choose to disbud some plants and leave others to grow naturally. Show dahlias are always disbudded.
If you are not regularly cutting blooms from your plants be sure to at least remove the spent, withered blooms on a regular basis. This is called “dead-heading” and is strongly recommended to reduce disease and unsightly debris on the foliage. Dahlias that are not regularly “dead-headed” may

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 05:16:45 pm »
Hello DayValleyDahl
I just sent you a PM with my address. Would like to get some of your
dahlia seeds. Not often that people offer free items, but as you probably
know, beekeepers are the nicest people. Can you advise if we need to
reimburse you for the shipping cost? Thanks again.
BEEMAN - from Franklin, Louisiana

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:37:06 pm »
No reimbursements necessary!

Just grow the seeds!  That's all I ask...

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:13 pm »
Hi
I just PM'd you too.  Now I have another thing to remember someone by.  Most of my plants are from people I know, some of the people are no longer on this earth but their memory & plants live on, I smile & think of them as I look at the plants!  Thank you for sharing! :)
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 01:35:00 am »
Sharon, what a wonderful offer.  You will have your seeds spread all over the country, hee, hee.

That cultural information was fantastic.  I copied it into a word document on my desktop so that I can peruse it when my dahlias are really going gung ho, I can't wait for them to bloom, I anticipate an August bloom period.  I have so much room, I will have dahlia city going on here, yes, you will see the pictures, and you will be proud of these beauties that came from your own land.  Beautiful day in this beautiful life,  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 01:17:48 pm »
Sharon, thank you so much!  I can't wait to get em started!  Then I can think of you when I see them growing & blooming!
Thanks again

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:16:03 pm »
Yay,

Thanks Jody...

Happy Growing

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 03:03:55 pm »
Hi Sharon,

Mine arrived today - I am so excited both to try to grow them and to have such a nice connection with you.  We are barely in the cool enough to grow dahlias part of GA but I'm going to plant some up in the mountains where all of my neighbors grow beautiful dahlias.

Thanks for your generous sharing,

Linda T a future dahlia grower in Atlanta

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 05:32:41 pm »
Oh goodie, I am thrilled to have all these connections to folks from hither and yon.  The world needs more bees and blooms!

Can't hardly wait to see what all of you get!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:58:15 pm »
Sharon, I received my seeds today! I plan to start them in pots in our kitchen window. Tomatoes and peppers start very will in this window. Linda said something about the cool (or lack of) weather in Georgia. Will they grow in hot locations? I have the instructions that you published but do not remember reading anything about temperature requirements.

Thanks again! Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:59:56 pm »
Hi Sharon,

I received the seeds today,I'll get them started soon. I started some tomatoes and other things a few days ago. It's snowing today, maybe 10in. It will be great to see some sprouts,it's been a long winter.  :roll:

Thanks again  :-*
Eddie
God bless Us all!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 07:05:21 pm »
You go Eddie!! Think Green~*~

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 07:40:44 pm »
I had PM'd Sharon already that I received my seeds, but wanted you all to know also that they have arrived in Placerville, California last week.

Wonderful!!!!!

Love
Annette

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 07:47:33 pm »
The Brother &  Sisterhood of the Traveling Seeds

Offline Bigeddie

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 08:36:32 pm »
Hi again Sharon,

I didn't waste any time, I got 24 started already,now I need more containers. Say,do you have any idea how tall these dahlias will get so I can figure out where to plant them.  :-D

Thanks,
Eddie
God bless Us all!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 10:07:01 pm »
Eddie,

With proper care & conditions, on average four feet tall.

anything