Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey color  (Read 2040 times)

Offline ConfedMarine

• New Bee
Honey color
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:09:35 pm »
I extracted a super(36lbs.) of wild flower honey this past June. When bottled, it was very clear with a hint of amber. I store my bottled honey in my finished basement(constant cool temp. out of direct sunlight). The honey is still clear but is a darker amber. More "honey looking". It taste the same. I was wondering why the color change?
Thanks for any thoughts.
It is not what you think you are, but what you think, you are.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Honey color
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 03:25:25 pm »
Could be when you first bottled the honey, usually there are tiny bubbles some you can't even see which refract the light making it seem "lighter". Then, after sitting awhile, the bubbles rise out of the honey to the surface and the "true" color of the honey remains. Did the honey seem slightly cloudy when you first bottled it?
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline ConfedMarine

• New Bee
Honey color
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 03:57:46 pm »
No. I let the honey sit for 3-4 days to let the air bubbles rise and form the white foam on top. I used a spatula to skim off the foam. The color change is almost unnoticeable, but I did have a customer say something about it.
It is not what you think you are, but what you think, you are.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Honey color
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 03:58:49 pm »
Honey gets darker as it gets older.  Some more quickly than others.  Heat also makes it darker.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin