Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Llama question  (Read 2709 times)

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Llama question
« on: December 16, 2008, 02:28:17 pm »
So we got a Llama kinda late in the summer. The previous owner had cut down the coat (too much in my opinion) and done it late in the year. Currently we have temps in the mid teens and I am wondering if I should do anything more than just lots of dry straw bedding. She is in a covered area with 4 goats and they all seem to be huddling up, I know they are a hardy animal but how hardy ?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Llama question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:03:32 pm »
So we got a Llama kinda late in the summer. The previous owner had cut down the coat (too much in my opinion) and done it late in the year. Currently we have temps in the mid teens and I am wondering if I should do anything more than just lots of dry straw bedding. She is in a covered area with 4 goats and they all seem to be huddling up, I know they are a hardy animal but how hardy ?

Llama's, like Alpaca's, come from the mountainous regions of South American, the Andies.  I don't think Snohomish, Wa gets near as cold as 4000 feet up in the Andies but I could be wrong.  As long as they have a wind break and can huddle together you should be fine.

BTW, did you hear about the Balloonist who tried to set a world record by going from the Andies to the Indies in his Undies?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Llama question
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:44:29 am »
BTW, did you hear about the Balloonist who tried to set a world record by going from the Andies to the Indies in his Undies?

Oh Brian, I see that you still have that most wonderful sense of humour, I love it!!!  Have a great, most awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service