Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frame Feeders  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
Frame Feeders
« on: June 07, 2009, 01:14:07 am »
I have a project nuc a very small swarm that I'm having fun working with.  The queen is laying eggs and they fill up about 2 frames in the nuc but my question lies in the feeder..... They have been sipping on the same sugar water for about 2 weeks and they haven't finished it off and there are quite abit of drowned girls in the water.  I have some cedar chips floating in the feeder to help with the drowning but should I dump the sugar water which is 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar and start over of leave it till its gone?? :?  I'm not needing it to produce honey but that would be nice I just want them to get into a deep and over winter and give me a honey flow next season.  What should I do?? :?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Frame Feeders
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 02:49:57 am »
try using  a bag of plastic beads floatin in the feeders, get them at a hobby store. the bees can perch on them to suck the syrup without drowning so badly. I myself would be leary of using cedar chips, might cause yeast or mold to start in the syrup more quickly, just a thought, no proof of that.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:15:31 am »
Thanks what kinda size of beeds are we talking about?
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 02:34:04 pm »
bead sizes 1/4" to 1/2" should be a good size. I've not used them myself as I use Brushy Mountain feeders which come with a floating length of plastic which keeps the ladies floating. I've just heard from others that floating beads work well in water's and feeders.

anything