Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting with 5-Frame Nuc - Questions from a new-bee!  (Read 5919 times)

Offline SueCT

• New Bee
Starting with 5-Frame Nuc - Questions from a new-bee!
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:58:36 pm »
Hi All!  We'll be picking up our 5-frame nucs (on medium frames) the 2nd weekend of May.  The general advice I've been getting is to add one super at a time - as the brood box hits approx. 8 fully drawn and filled frames, add the next super.  Of course, we're not starting with a deep due to the frame size we'll be receiving, so I'm a little concerned about starting with just one super.  Thoughts on starting off with 2 supers from the word go?  Even if the brood pattern is a little bit sketchy, is it better to give them a little bit of breathing room and not have to worry about such frequent hive inspections so soon after install?  When starting with a medium, should I consider the bottom two boxes to be the brood chamber of the hives and anything beyond that as honey supers?  

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
Re: Starting with 5-Frame Nuc - Questions from a new-bee!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:38:57 pm »
welcome sueCt.  wish i could answer your question but, i am just starting out myself, i was told to just use 1 to get started and then as they built up to add a second, i am sure someone will chime in. i am happy with the help i have gotten from the people on here

good luck

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:52:23 pm »
SueCT,

1 box at a time! Don't wait until you have 8 frames drawn or you will probably have a swarm on your hands, should be more like 6/7. Main reason for not adding supers too fast is that the bees cannot protect too much room. Recipe for wax moth infestation if you are using drawn comb. If this this happens the bees may abscond, meaning they will just leave. In your area you will most likely need more than 2 brood boxes. I run all 8 frame mediums & here in TN I run at least 3 sometimes 4 brood boxes. In your area I would say at LEAST 3 boxes.  Hope this helps you out. Oh yeah, welcome to beekeeping. Me thinks you will love keeping.
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline SueCT

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:04:09 am »
Thank you all!  I appreciate your mentioning wax moth infestations as one reason to build slowly as I didn't have a good appreciation for why.  Beeman, if I understood your reply correctly, when I'm first installing the Nuc, which will have a total of 5 frames full of brood/honey/nectar, that would indicate that I should add a second super from the word go, correct? From that point, I would wait for the 2nd brood chamber to have 5-6 frames full before adding a 3rd super and so on?