Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Placement  (Read 5371 times)

Offline rail

• House Bee
Hive Placement
« on: April 17, 2011, 09:50:51 am »
I have read the best hive placement is south to southeast, shade in the afternoon.

Can the hive be placed north to northwest with light shade in the afternoon?

Charles

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:58:10 pm by Robo »
Sirach

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Hive Placement
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:08:23 am »
You can place them any 'ol way and they'll do fine. Some swear by morning sun/afternoon shade, some prefer full sun (I do), and some keep them in full shade out of necessity.

Most of my bees are on 4 way migratory pallets and face every which way.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 12:08:08 pm »
Bees nest in trees in the forest and entrances face every which way, but they seem to prefer to be away from the prevailing wind if they can.  They seem to be more healthy and productive in full sun, but it's not what they would choose.  The nice thing about shade is you don't get so hot working them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »
Thank you for posting my pictures!!!

The first picture is the area I want to place the hive, 6:30 pm.

Second picture is looking from the area of hive placement, facing north-northwest. The tree on the left will be removed, it's dead! My garden (just freshly tilled) is straight out in front of the hive. Hope it will be a happy home for the bee's!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Charles
Sirach

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »
That looks like a very fine place to keep hives to me.  Let them face the house so you can look at them.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
That old warrior's path next to the lower tree just above the garage (the path that lone log is blocking) looks like the ideal place to me.  Creates a more natural "level" spot to set the hives.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:22:14 am »
That old warrior's path next to the lower tree just above the garage (the path that lone log is blocking) looks like the ideal place to me.  Creates a more natural "level" spot to set the hives.

That path is a gravel drain embedded in the ground that empties near a natural spring. The freshly tilled garden area is in front of the lone log.

Charles
Sirach

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57:17 pm »
After a couple years reading and asking questions the hive is finished and ready for the package of bees that shipped on Saturday. I'm excited and nervous, forecast rain for the next several days.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'm ready to learn and listen from the bees.

Charles

Sirach

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:08:33 pm »
Nice stand.  mine are in full sun. 
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:13 pm »
I do have one question - is the hive canted over from the vertical, or does the picture just make it look that way (I'm going by the trees in the background.).  My understanding is you should try to have the hive level?  Maybe just tipped a little towards the front?

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »
JC,

The picture is deceiving, sloping landscape. I leveled the hive with a bubble level. The stand tilts forward about an 1/8" from level. The legs are buried in the ground. Anything that I should change?

Charles
Sirach

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 12:14:01 pm »
Post office called this morning, the bees arrived. :-D Installed them with no problems.

Sure is a good feeling! ;)

Sirach

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 12:44:20 pm »
Looks great to me, :-D the only thing is you need another one right there beside that one.

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:02:48 pm »
The large one on the corner of the stand and on top of the can, Drone? Fuzzy and large!

Sirach

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 01:11:48 pm »
Yes drones. Notice the difference in the eyes.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 03:23:25 pm »
My package bees won't be here for 2 more weeks. I'm jealous.

And that bee in the top pic (lower right) looks like it is jumping to warp! Star Trek bees!
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 03:29:12 pm »
And that bee in the top pic (lower right) looks like it is jumping to warp! Star Trek bees!

Ha ha, I was wondering where they got the new reversing bees!!
Rick

Offline SmokeEater2

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »
Nice job Rail! I like that top cover.  :)

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 02:47:03 am »
Checked the hive after work this morning; temperature 60 degrees after a heavy rain. The hive has a quiet hum to it. :roll:
Sirach

Offline rail

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:42 am »
Checked the feeder this morning; (24 hours since package install) the amount in each looks the same as yesterday. Is this normal?

One feeder jar has the syrup from delivery (thick), the other jar is 1:1 water and sugar that I mixed (thin)? Each feeder jar was filled 1/3 full.

When I pulled the feeder from the holder the lids looked clean. When I squeezed the jars, syrup came out the holes. Will they keep the feeder lids clean from their eating?

Charles

Sirach