Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why, oh why, didn't I keep the veil on? (And other adventures.)  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
I started a big cut-out today, but didn't finish.  It turned out to be a much bigger job than I expected and several things conspired against me.

The bees are in between joists at the first/second floor transition, but this old house was framed with 2x10s, so they have a lot of space.  They were right up against the sheathing and I removed combs until I was up to my shoulder and could no longer reach them.  It still looks like there are a lot of bees in there.  So, the owners are going to arrange for me to come back and cut out the floor to get the rest.

These bees were also hot.  You might ask, well, aren't all bees hot when you are cutting their nest apart?  Not as hot as these bees.  They were forming big heavy clumps on me and as the clumps weighed down the fabric of my suit, they found new and interesting ways to sting me.  Normally, I can walk away a hundred yards and wait a few minutes and the bees will leave off pursuit.  These bees were having none of that and large numbers of attackers kept at me for more than an hour while I waited for them to settle.  I eventually got stung so many times I decided that even if I could get access to the inside today, I wasn't going to do it.

Just as I was about to leave with my two deeps full of brood and bees (so far), the owner showed up.  I was in the truck and had just removed my veil, but things looked pretty calm outside, so I hopped out to have a quick chat.  And, just as I got to their car, the bees got to me.  Five stings on the scalp and three on the face, including one right on the corner of my eye.  I had to go running down the road to escape, undoubtedly inspiring great confidence in the home owner.

Well, that was my day and the good news is, I get to go back and do it again tomorrow.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Why, oh why, didn't I keep the veil on? (And other adventures.)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:24:59 pm »
Sorry you got stung so many time

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:56:03 pm »
Shoot, Bill...Sounds like you have a wonderful life!
 I think maybe you should change you fone # and maybe move....and not go back tomorrow...or ever!
 Cut-outs sure do seem like more work than I would want to do..I prefer to just get 'em off a tree limb or sweep them up off the ground!
 My hat goes of to all you guys(and girls) who do the cutouts!
I did one awhile back and it was pretty fun but it was an abandoned trailor and had nobody to answer to about the mess I left :)

your friend,
john

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:07 pm »
I still had fun (well, except for a brief period of time after getting drilled in the face.)  Telling the war stories is part of the fun.   ;)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:00 pm »
Bill,

Your story makes me feel a lot better about my experience yesterday.  I did my first cutout.  No where near as interesting as yours, but reality nonetheless.

You impress me with the fact that you can absorb multiple stings.  I think I would be in trouble if I got stung that many times.  I keep hoping I build some immunity.  Every time I get ONE sting, I get huge local swelling.  I still think it is a small price to pay.  I just need to avoid it better.   

I accessed my cutout from the outside, to enter the wall of an old summer kitchen.  I thought I had alot to deal with, but I didn't get stung until I got home.  Compared to yours, mine was cake LOL.  It was hours later, and I was cleaning tools and putting things away.  I must have knocked a bee into my sandal, and she did not like it.  My foot and ankle are about twice normal size.  fun! 

My experience, like I said, doesn't compare when it comes to stings and size of colony.  I did comment to my buddy, as we stumbled around outside the building, that I would never do another one without charging. 

Do you charge for cutouts?  I can't imagine doing one, again, without some compensation.  I should have listened to the old-timers that told me it wasn't worth the time.  I guess I had to learn the hard way, though.

One last thing, really the only similarity.  The owner showed up just as we were preparing to leave.  I was carrying ladders etc, and had removed my gloves and veil.  The owner was at least 50 yards away, but still got nailed between the eyes.  I felt pretty bad.  The bee that stung him, had been in my hair and I was waiting to deal with it until I put the ladder down.  My buddy saw it leave my head and drive straight into his forehead.  I guess bad things happen when owners show up at the last minute.   
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:29:26 pm »
  I guess bad things happen when owners show up at the last minute.   
[/quote]

Ill remember that and tell the owners to wait till I call them to show up.......  :-D

War stories have always been my fav. part.. :evil:
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:00:08 pm »
Oh MY!  What an adventure, you know we will all want to see the pictures and read about part II! :evil:  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:43:38 am »
Bill, tomorrow is another day and you will be refreshed and ready for them. Kick some butt and take names my man!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:45:03 am »
JP, now that is a perfect example of why I go from the inside. All the guard bees going to the outside.  No reaching in until my body is half buried between the rafters. All the guard bees going to the outside. Not running out of workroom when the hive is large.  All the guard bees going to the outside.

Did I mention the guard bees going outside???

Bill, go in from the first floor ceiling, not the second floor floor. Use a four foot step ladder or something like a picnic table. It will be 10 times easier.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:58:06 am »
Yes, go in from the ceiling...

If...

you like honey dripping on top of you! :-D

...JP

BTW, Iddee, I do most all ceiling joist removals from the interior. :-P
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Luckyparrot

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:22:00 am »
Bill, at least the owner knew that you were ok, not dying on their property like I was.

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 11:26:10 am »
Yes, go in from the ceiling...
If...
you like honey dripping on top of you! :-D
...JP

Now you guys all know that honey is good for the complexion! It softenes the skin, etc. That applies to both the guys and the girls!  :-D

Brenda

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 10:57:29 am »
Bill, oh wow!!!  Takin' my hat off to ya.  You painted such an explicit picture for my mind's eye, amazing.  I would have stopped after the first clump of bees that landed on my body, eeks!!!  I am a chickenheart.  I don't think I would ever do a cut out like all you guys do, you're nuts!!!  Beautiful days, to love and live, health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service