Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: lady bugs  (Read 2157 times)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
lady bugs
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:45:07 pm »
can someone give me the whole scoop on ladybugs instead of seven dust for potato beetles and other garden pests and where to get them . all you know and can tell me will be greatly appreciated thanks

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: lady bugs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 08:36:04 pm »
Not sure if this is the type of information you are looking for, but it may be helpful. Read the part about pests and insects in the garden.
http://www.pennapic.org/commonsenseapproaches.html

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:34 pm »
Lady bugs are a predator and they eat green flies and other pests in the garden and green house  :cindi: .

There eggs hatch into larvae, they are really hungry and eat even more nuisance bugs.

A friend got extra pocket money for every lady bug or larvae she caught and let loose in her parents green house.  :cindi:

mvh edward  :-P

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:50 pm »
any idea where you can buy them someone had something in a post about buying them but I cant find post . I thought it would be better than seven dust for potato bugs and bee friendly   thanks

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:06:13 pm »
I don't know where you can buy any but there is usually a good many around here.

Joe

Offline Lonestarpearl

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:30:02 am »
We are blessed to have a lot of ladybugs here where we live so any aphids that get started in the garden are quickly eaten.   There are several kinds of weeds in this area that bloom early in the spring when the ladybugs are coming out of hibernation so they have food until the aphids and mites come along.  (So having some native weeds in your yard that bloom is good for attracting ladybugs.)   I would recommend you also grow cilantro (and let it bloom), yarrow, and other plants that have small flowers. 

Offline Rodger J.

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
Some garden centers sell lady bugs and other beneficial insects. Check with them.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »
ladybugs are more for aphids, larva, & eggs. beetles are a bit large for them but they will eat their eggs & larva. assain bugs woukd be better for the beetles. praying egg cases hatch hundreds out but it's too late this year to buy them. if you get some ladybugs & assassin bugs i would buy some diatomaceous earth or rotonone powder & dust real heavy a few times while they are on their way. it is not poisonous. wear a dust mask because it can irritate the lungs. you can then water heavy before you release the good bugs & the dusts will be nuetralized. you need to water before you release the ladybugs anyway. releasing at night & watering hel[s keep them around longer. if you find cluster of tiny orange eggs under the leaves those are ladybugs eggs. their larva are better predators than the adults are. here'a a link to find them. if you search you'll find more.
http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/Live-Ladybugs

Offline nella

• House Bee

anything