Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Hives with Pictures & a few questions  (Read 4400 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
New Hives with Pictures & a few questions
« on: July 01, 2007, 08:00:53 pm »
Here are the pictures from moving the hive and where they are located.

I pulled one frame out yesterday of the rightmost hive and you will see that picture as well.  The color looks different than some others I have seen but don't know that this is anything to be concerned with.  I put a few pictures of these.

When I opened up the super, it was very active.

Today I noticed one hive with alot of activity in the afternoon and even a small bunch of bees for a while at the entrance.  The other hive did not have nearly the activity but did have bees coming and going.   The right hive seems to have alot more activity in general but I have not opened it up yet.

One hive has a 1" hole in the super.  Not sure why and if I should leave it or cover it up???

I think I am going to have the move the leftmost hive to the right a bit so I can get to it from the left more easily.  I think it would be pretty tough right now since there is not enough room between them or between the leftmost hive and the hedge. 

There are some dead bees on the ground (less than 50 probably).  Figuring this is probably normal considering the number of bees. 

I need to get a book or two because I really don't know what I should be doing now or the next thing I need to do.  I spoke to the inspector and he won't be available until early August to do the registration and inspection.  I am going to go to the local club meeting in two weeks. 

Thanks for looking and I welcome your comments.

Arrived home after about an hour drive from the sellers house:

My son and I.  He is so interested in the bees. Many more questions than I have answers.

The morning after moving the bees.  Sat morning.

The two hives this afternoon.  You can see the difference in the # of bees at the entrance and the activity.

Something at the entrance.  Almost looked like a black bee.  There were two of these.

A cluster of bees at the entrance.  This slowly grew and then slowly subsided.  I thought they may be attacking an intruder but I never could see anything.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: New Hives with Pictures & a few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 08:16:06 pm »
The queen may mate with several drones,maybe carnis ,italians,ferals,which may be where the dark bees came from.They may have been local drones visiting the hive,which they often come and go as they please.
The cluster outside may have been hanging outside to cool the hive or a bunch of bees on orientation flights.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:57:06 pm »
i see nothing with the hives to be concerned about.  i would advise against wearing shorts at the hives.  bees fall to the ground all the time during manipulation. especially if you shake them off a frame.  you should have a veil for yourself as well.  don't wear rings in case of stings.      when handling frames try and keep them verticle this prevents nectar from running out and prevents breakage if using starter strips or letting them draw out on just the frames and they are not completely finished.       

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 09:58:59 pm »
it sucks a lot when they go up your pants!  first bad sting i had was one up the pant leg.  couldn't even do the dance because i had just finished telling my granddaughter that there was nothing to be afraid of. 

also, secure veil.  second bad sting i got was one up the neck!

other than that, they look like nice hives.  sounds like you did well.  welcome to beekeeping.  :-)

oh ya...just between us....i do wear shorts sometimes, but it's an informed decision  ;-)

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 11:30:29 pm »
Point taken.  In that picture, I just tilted the lid to show my son and the inner top was still on.  I would not have done that today as if we got within about 8 feet, they were buzzing our head. 

Also I wanted to add this picture for you to look at.

Offline JMN

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:01:58 pm »
Hi.  I had the same problem, dead bees on the ground, untill I talked to a local commercial beekeeper.  He told me that I had the hives too close to each other (and I sure did, maybe 1o inches apart).  Told me to move the hives to at least 4 to 5 feet apart, but only about 10 - 12 inches a day so the bees can get used to the new location.  After the moves no more dead bees.

I asked him, what's the reason for the dead bees, he said they are fighting each other.  The guy has some 250 hives, so he should know something about bees.

Nice pictures.

Joseph
Of all the things I lost, my mind is the one I miss the most. B1mg379

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:11:11 pm »
Point taken.  In that picture, I just tilted the lid to show my son and the inner top was still on.  I would not have done that today as if we got within about 8 feet, they were buzzing our head. 

Also I wanted to add this picture for you to look at.

I take it that is the frame you were concerned about for color?

All older Comb darkens as the Bees walk across it, not an issue.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 05:23:52 pm »
This time of year in florida, it is to hot to wear anything but shorts and short sleeved shirts working bees. The comb looked fine to me just filled with pollen and nector(this is a good thing).
The hives do tend to do better if one is turned one way and the other turned the other way when they are close together. I have some on 4 way pallets and are side by side. I put a strip on the inside of the landing board to seperate.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 06:25:47 pm »
This time of year in florida, it is to hot to wear anything but shorts and short sleeved shirts working bees. The comb looked fine to me just filled with pollen and nector(this is a good thing).
The hives do tend to do better if one is turned one way and the other turned the other way when they are close together. I have some on 4 way pallets and are side by side. I put a strip on the inside of the landing board to seperate.

That is a good thought on changing the direction as that effectively moves them further apart.  I may do that especially since I think I will eventually want to add one or two more. 

Any issue in one having only about 12" to the hedge from the entrance?

Good to hear on the frame I pulled.  I really did not know what I was looking for.  this frame was one of the end frames in the super.  I did not pull any others so I can't say what the rest looked like yet. 

I hear you on the heat and it was a scorcher last Sat.  In the pic you can see my shirt was total soaked from sweat. 

Thanks.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 06:26:52 pm »
pdmattox....what are the jars for??? Just curious.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 06:44:12 pm »
pdmattox....what are the jars for??? Just curious.

they are for feeding syrup. We were takeing 2 frames of brood and 1 of honey out of each hive and making nucs for pollination in south florida.  After making nuc's we feed everything to get them going again.

Any issue in one having only about 12" to the hedge from the entrance?

>>>that should not be a problem.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:16:31 pm »
Do you use boardman feeders???

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:55:04 pm »
No, just the jars on the top of the lid.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 12:05:35 am »
I can't see it in my mind. Can you give me some more detail???

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 11:40:29 am »
Single story brood box with a flat lid (plywood) and a 70mm round hole cut in the center with jar turned up.

Here is one I just set up to show what it wood be like in the hive right over the frames.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 07:04:39 pm »
Tell me the difference. I feed(try) with boarman feeders and they start robbing frenzies galore. How do you get away with it???

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 07:28:50 pm »
your feeder is exposed to whatever comes around.  that causes the robbing.  the bucket or jar feeders openings are only exposed to the inside of the hive.  the bees feed from under the cover. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 10:11:21 pm »
Got it!! Thanks.