Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are the bees doing?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
What are the bees doing?
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:13:31 pm »
Hello all -

I have 4 hives and from everything I see they have all made it nicely through the winter.  With that being said, it appears that they are starting to come back to their senses and wake up from the winter.  Currently, they are flying on good days (sunny, temps above 35F / 2C, and little wind).  My observation is that they have long sense passed the "cleansing flight" stage, yet we have absolutely no bloom or flow whatsoever.  My hives are located just south of Saratoga Springs and north of Albany, NY. 

With that being said... what could they be doing?  None of them have any pollen or are carrying anything that I can see yet they seem quite intent on flying somewhere then flying back in with quite vigor!  I guess it doesn't really matter and I should just be thankful that all 4 hives made it through the winter, but i'm curious as heck. 

Please advise.

David

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: What are the bees doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:37:33 pm »
Skunk cabbage blooms this early. You need to look for it. They do carry some water back to the hives,probably to help cut the thick honey or perhaps reliquify the granulated honey.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:57:06 pm »
Thank you for your thoughts and I agree that they could be bringing in water and ya know what - it may be as simple as that, but as for the skunk cabbage - there is none.  I was in the woods this morning doing a little turkey scouting since turkey season is around the corner and saw none.  I'd guess that as soon as the last of the snow is gone (later this week, it looks like) it will begin to emerge. 

Any other thoughts of what they could be doing?  Would they be collecting anything else?  What else is there, perhaps propolis? Or could they just be flying around to get some fresh air?  It is intriguing trying to figure them out!

David

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:34:53 am »
Maybe they're just "coppin' a buzz".   :-D

8-)

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:22:52 pm »
Could it be that no one knows why bees fly when there is no flow?  I am curious - perhaps they are simply out looking for the first signs of spring to start and the flow to start...

David

Offline tomofreno

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:17:48 pm »
Have you checked to see if they are bringing in pollen (bunches on their hind legs)?  Mine are.  Don't know where they are getting it this time of year.