Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: cappings melter  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
cappings melter
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:57:58 pm »
I have been given a cappings melter made by Kelly's.  I am not familiar with its usage.  Does anyone use one of these?  Could you give me some advice on how to use it? 

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
Re: cappings melter
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:37:36 am »
I have been given a cappings melter made by Kelly's.  I am not familiar with its usage.  Does anyone use one of these?  Could you give me some advice on how to use it? 
   If its the jumbo melter that Kelley makes yes, I have one.   Charlie

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:39:43 pm »
The one I have is the small one.  It looks to be an older model.  I think I have all the parts.  I'm just not sure what the advantage of using it is.  Does it really help separate the cappings from the honey?  What has been your experience with it?

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:57:00 am »
The one I have is the small one.  It looks to be an older model.  I think I have all the parts.  I'm just not sure what the advantage of using it is.  Does it really help separate the cappings from the honey?  What has been your experience with it?

kimbrell, If you are talking about the small round water heated melter that Kelley makes I had one a few years ago. I uncapped into it but found I had to heat the water to about 170-F min. to make it work right. It would melt wax and seperate the honey from it but it would also darken the honey. I think that if a person would let the cappings drain overnite then run them through this type of wax melter it will work. That way you won't darken a lot of honey.   With this system its a very slow process at best.   Charlie

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:02:01 pm »
Charlie,
Thanks for the advice.  Do you think using the melter is worth the trouble?  I harvest raw honey so I certainly will let the cappings drain before putting them in the melter.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 10:25:00 pm »
Charlie,
Thanks for the advice.  Do you think using the melter is worth the trouble?  I harvest raw honey so I certainly will let the cappings drain before putting them in the melter.

Try it then you will know if its worth the trouble.  Good luck.  Charlie