Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Things I'm learning as I go  (Read 2497 times)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Things I'm learning as I go
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:32:01 am »
I'm learning... that you guys and gals weren't kidding about the weight of a medium of honey.
...that those darn jackets are hot.
...that I may need a chair to sit in as I examine my frames.
...that this is work and it hurts your back, but it's fascinating too.
...that I should ordered more mediums a month ago.
...you don't have to get stung, bees are not vicious.
...slow and careful is the best way.
...that you will always forget something when you go out to inspect, whether it be a tool, or something.
...unmarked queens can be impossible to see.

Now I'm wondering how much I really need a smoker lit?
It seems that the smoke upsets them more than it calms, at least at this point.

Brenda

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Things I'm learning as I go
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:38:49 am »
not what you expected to learn when they told you beekeeping was "educational"!   ;)

the answer to the smoker question has a lot to do, i think, with the temperament of your bees.  if i am doing a quick look where i open a couple of hives and pull a couple of frames, i usually don't light the smoker.  if i am really going through the hives and i know I'll be out there for awhile, i do light it.  it makes things easier.  it's also handy when you have had a few sting your gloves or clothes.  if you don't smoke those areas you can become a big sting magnet  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:55:03 am »
some times sugar water spray is easier, less time consuming and just as effective, some day more effective.
As for learning, I never, ever thought how much i would be learning about tangential things, or that there was this much to know just about the bees themselves. Like about plants, pollination, chemical issues, pheromones, cutouts, waggle dancing, diseases, genetics the list just goes on and on...as does my learning desire and need to learn more to get better at this...
Wax , pollen propolis, products you make, setting up website business cards on and on, but its great
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 01:08:24 pm »
that I should ordered more mediums a month ago.

This is my biggest lesson of the year. With my aggressive expansion but limited wallet I have had to build a lot of equipment as I go.  Next year, everything will be prepared in the winter.  No more of this last minute building.  I will need 80 mediums with frames and foundation for next season.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:09:13 pm »
I'm learning to unfocus my eyes a bit so I can see the directions from which the bees are coming and going when I'm standing (or squatting, usually) by the hive. Then I try to guess (well, mostly imagine at this point) what is attracting them. In fact, I spend considerable time imagining what they're doing both inside and outside the hive. For me the mystery has been one of the most compelling, unexpected motivations to continue to learn.

I can also distinguish now the sound of a honeybee from the bumbles, jackets and other bees as I'm walking outside. If I concentrate, I can predict from the incoming sound when the next drone will land on the landing board.

-- eri

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:21:41 pm »
>...that those darn jackets are hot.

Yep.  I love my Golden Bee Products suit...

>...that I may need a chair to sit in as I examine my frames.

I have a toolbox/stool I sit on.

>...that this is work and it hurts your back, but it's fascinating too.

You need to find ways to not hurt your back.

>...that I should ordered more mediums a month ago.

Or eight frame mediums...

>...you don't have to get stung, bees are not vicious.

You do have to get stung eventually and occasionally.  But not that often.

>...slow and careful is the best way.

Yes.

>...that you will always forget something when you go out to inspect, whether it be a tool, or something.

Yes.

>...unmarked queens can be impossible to see.

No.  You just have to learn to see them.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm

But then you don't always need to find them:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#dontlookforqueen

>Now I'm wondering how much I really need a smoker lit?

I usually light one.  I usually don't use it beyond that unless I'm going to be doing quite a bit.

>It seems that the smoke upsets them more than it calms, at least at this point.

Then you're smoking them too much.  It only takes ONE good puff in the door and maybe ONE at the top.  Then you wait a full 60 seconds.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:29 pm »
Ordering more than what you think you'll need for next season in the late Fall or early Winter makes sure you have what you need when you need it and you also avoid shipping delays due to over worked and back ordered suppliers.  Winter is a beekeepers friend--it is then he gets ready for next season--use the time wisely.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:05:36 pm »
"winter" i need one of those. i seem to buying stuff all year round

anything