Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: No CCD in Alabama  (Read 3983 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
No CCD in Alabama
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:13:22 pm »
I just read an article saying that the reason there is no CCD in Alabama is that they have a law outlawing transporting beehives for commercial use in pollinating.  Bees can only cross the state line if they are not hived. 

Makes me think of the old story about the guy who stopped at a trucking weigh station, got out of the cab and took a broom and started beating on the side of the truck.  When asked why, he said, "Truck's full of birds I'm transporting.  I want 'em to fly around so my truck will pass the weight limit."

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: No CCD in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:26:12 pm »
It would be next to impossible to get a load of live birds over the legal limit. And besides, the mythbusters proved that even though the birds were flying the truck would still weigh the same. (because the downward push of air is the same weight as the birds flying)
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:28:50 pm »
See, there's always the smart guy  :-D :-D :-D

LT

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 01:46:13 am »
I know a few entomologists from that state which might explain the strict laws. Honestly if some of them had their way though it would be that way for all states. Officially I think they would want to get rid of honey bees entirely (but that's imposable short of CCD) because they aren't native to the Americas at all.

I wonder if the Indians (Native Americans) had Honey Bees if they would have populated more? If we don't have any honey bees we'll still have other types of bees pollinating things. They're just harder to keep or require undisturbed conditions.

I'm going to post some questions around about this.