Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: solar generator  (Read 9329 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
solar generator
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:46:52 pm »
any input on these?  have not started research.  i'm sure they are spendy.  thought they looked like a good idea, but wonder how powerful they are and how much sun they need. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: solar generator
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:03:15 pm »
I looked at a 5kw for a bit more than $10,000.00 and quit looking. Can't tell you any more than that.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:29:32 am »
I've never heard of a solar generator - but if you're meaning a power array I know they've made some pretty good strides in the efficiency - (I saw some large ones in Canada- about parallel to Maine- over the holidays) They've apparently made great advances in w/ft. I can't help with price but there are/were some state and federal rebates for systems over a certain KWH rating.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline wd

• Field Bee

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »
I think wind power is a better investment in these parts.  It runs at night when you need it most and doesn't loose its power in winter because of snow.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:17 pm »
I would be very interested in a wind/solar system that you can buy into in sections. Say get a converter and a panel to start with, then buy more panels and more batteries later, then eventually get a wind turbine, and so on.

It's alot harder to allocate $20,000 at one time than it is to put $1,000 a year down and get marginal returns back, eventually building up to something.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 09:49:10 pm »
The first video here http://www.mysolarbackup.com/playvideo.html boasts the option of wind and or solar panels to charge the marine battery's. The first time on that website the first video loaded up while the others remained off, second time on the site they all started, had to turn the others off.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:50:57 am »
http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/

I would be very interested in a wind/solar system that you can buy into in sections. Say get a converter and a panel to start with, then buy more panels and more batteries later, then eventually get a wind turbine, and so on.

If you are into diy there are all kinds of cheap ways out.  I was going to suggest that you not notch the PVC blades as he shows but I see he realized his mistake and modified the blades at the end.  Wind power is not that expensive as long as you don’t get involved in the grid, which takes approval anyways.  The newer approach, which I prefer, is a vertical axis blade.  Up here the wind changes direction all the time and these types of wind mills don’t need to vane into the direction of the wind.  If your wind source is constant then the horizontal axis might be the answer for you.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:12:31 am »
The first video here …

In the beginning he states the panels are 250 watts.  A little later he says they are 150 watts.  Then at the end he claims it will run a refrigerator indefinitely.  Maybe it could run a little college refrigerator but certainly not a house refrigerator.  I wonder what the “1800” is suppose to signify?

Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:20:23 pm »
  I wonder what the “1800” is suppose to signify?

My guess is it's the number of man-hours spent deciding what the coolest name would be.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 01:34:02 pm »
I've seen this website http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/ before. sounds alright if one wants to camp out. I'm sure if a person decides to spend a good sum of money they could set something up to meet what ever needs they may have. There's more to it than discussed here .. However, I'm not an expert on this subject nor do I oppose or endorse anything I've posted on this thread, it's simply for the information. after all, the videos are infomercials and of course y'all will make up your own minds. 

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 01:57:44 pm »
www.missouriwindandsolar.com  is where I bought most of my stuff

modified to make link clickable(buzzbee)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:42:09 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 11:46:37 pm »
missouriwindandsolar.com is where I bought most of my stuff
They have some nice equipment that is easy to hook different systems together in the user friendly controls. Jeff makes good videos to show how to build your own PMA for the wind generator. http://www.mwands.com/tech/?cat=27

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:34 am »
Gees, I hate to be critical but it looks like the blade design is poor.  I suspect the blades will crack and break off where the wide part goes to a thin section all at once for bolting to the hub.  If I were to purchase one of these I would field that question to them.  Unless there is a tensile member embedded in the plastic at this point there need to be one strapped on the outside (inner and outer) to withstand the bending moment.  I am surprised they don't use aluminum for the hub plate.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 10:26:45 am »
The blades are made to flex. Would take a pretty hard blow to break one. Mine flipped over and hit the ground while I was working on it-sustained no damage. But yeah the hub is made out of steel..not aluminum. These things will saw birds in half if they arent paying attention to where they are going.  I have the six blade design.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 10:55:44 am »
The blades are made to flex. Would take a pretty hard blow to break one.

All beams under load flex.  A wind mill is constantly flexing due to gusts and changes in the wind.  They will not break under the load conditions but will fatigue from the constant load changes unless there is a steel strap, wire, or say a carbon fiber member placed near the two outer surfaces of the beam across that necking down region.  In is possible they have taken in this consideration in the design of these blades.  I can't tell from the video.  If they have not, your blades will fracture at that point where the shape of the blade is wide and then narrows instantly to the mounting tongue width.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 11:07:31 am »
I understand what you are saying and I'm sure in time that they would fracture. But they are an affordable product that is an easy fix.  The whole problem that I have with alternative power sources is that most systems are just too darned expensive. Not enough manufacturers are in the game yet to really drive costs down through competitive pricing. The blades however are not that bad. I found a bulk sell of them on ebay that a person could have made a small wind generation farm if he wanted to. Mine still isnt done. I start projects and then run out of funds to complete them and so they get ' backburnered ' until I can. All I need now is the power inverter that you plug into a ground fault outlet to get it going. This is my first 'get your feet wet' project-would love to get into a large solar panel array.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »
This is my first 'get your feet wet' project

For get your feet wet projects skip the power inverter and just keep the supply DC.  go for simple stuff like lighting, heating or transferring water.  You will realize some benefits while you are taking the time to collect more funds to upscale.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Rosalind

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 11:21:02 am »
any input on these?  have not started research.  i'm sure they are spendy.  thought they looked like a good idea, but wonder how powerful they are and how much sun they need. 
Depends on your location & site. Not so much your weather, but specifically, your exact location. We have a local commercial radio station that puts out a LOT of power that is run completely on solar--but they are right on the Boston harbor, catching southeastern sun, with no buildings taller than their offices around. I looked into putting one on my barn roof, since the radio station had such great success, but the barn is just too shaded by trees (including neighbor's trees).

My tree/hillside situation also means wind is not an option for me. I can do microhydro about 8 months/year--that may be something to look into if there is even a smallish creek on your property, microhydro can be very efficient.

Another thing to consider is what electricity mostly gets used for in your house. If you're using it for hot water, heat & a/c, something like geothermal might be a better option.
Chickens, turkeys, 2 dogs, 3 cats, lots and lots of bees!

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 12:30:46 pm »
if there is even a smallish creek on your property,

We have a huge creek that borders our property.  The property was once a small paper mill.  Getting the right to use the creek for anything is a governmental nightmare.  we could easily be off the grid if we could use that water power.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything