Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Albino bees?  (Read 6662 times)

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
Albino bees?
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:40 pm »

Today I had the lid off our GCH (garbage can hive) and was watching a bee struggling to "take out the trash".  What was being carried out looked like an albino bee.  I couldn't see it really well because it was covered by the bee's body that was lugging it out.  I saw another one right after being carted out by two bees working together.  It looked like it had body segments the same as a honey bee.  Any idea of what that was? 

Jane
Those who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
Re: Albino bees?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 03:49:23 pm »
my guess is drone pupae
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 03:51:33 pm »
Jane,
My first thought would be full size pupae/final stage bees, that were cleaned out due to mites, chilled brood, or some other cause that killed them.

Finding dead bees on the bottom, etc., is common for winter. But your days should allow for bees to naturally die outside the hive, to which is preferred and carried out by the dying bees. So I doubt it's bees dying on their own.

Having this happen could be for a number of reasons, some good, and some bad. But I would do a quick inspection the next time you are able, just to make sure all is well.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 03:53:17 pm »
my guess is drone pupae

You could add that to the TOP of my list...  :-D I missed thinking of that.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:08:46 pm »
We did get down to 52 a few nights ago, a few degrees higher the last few nights.  I am concerned about chilling with the set up we have- the bees in a plastic garbage can all winter.  I probably still have too much of a gap open at the top for colder weather.  But I have been concerned about narrowing the gap (opening) because of possible condensation inside the can during the winter.  Can I narrow the gap and then wait till we get colder weather and take the lid off once it warms up a bit during the day to look for condensation or will the damage be done already by then? 

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:34:55 pm »
I'm sure I'm asking what must be elementary questions for you guys, but...  the bees not only get rid of the adult drones when winter is coming, but also the drone pupae?  Would they want that pupae out so the queen can lay more worker brood instead?  Or are they wanting those cells for pollen and honey storage?  I imagine they have limited room in there with all the wood pieces.  I can count 9 combs down one side of the 12 x 18 piece of plywood.  I don't know how long the combs are.  Wish I had x-ray vision right about now.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 04:47:07 pm »
Jane,
I'm really sure that the bees will be able to regulate the can with the lid slightly ajar or the way it was found. I think changing it at times will be more damaging than just leaving it. I also think that if further north, maybe some modified top with a cloth/plywood would allow some moisture to escape without all the heat being lost. As it is for you in Florida, I really think that they will make it in your climate with little assistance.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 05:00:06 pm »
Thank you :)