Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Transport Queen Cell  (Read 3904 times)

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
Transport Queen Cell
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:02:55 pm »
I would like to transport a couple capped queen cells from my hive to my fathers house 5 hours away.  I was thinking of putting a couple jugs of water in a cooler that are warmed up to 95 degrees and hope that regulates the temp.  Scrap off some queen cells and keep them upright for the ride.  Then install them once I get there.  I am new at all this so any suggestions would be appreciated.  I am wondering how they ship when you order capped queens by mail.

Thanks Again,  Steve

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Transport Queen Cell
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:07:59 pm »
I would transport them in a nuc and let the bees regulate the temperature/humidity.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:17 pm »
I would transport them in a nuc and let the bees regulate the temperature/humidity.
My thoughts exactly. Even a "package" box with a bunch of nurse bees -- Like Robo said, let the bees do it. They know best.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:49:27 pm »
Its a good thing, but a bad thing.  All my equipment (and my only nuc which a buddy has because he wanted to keep bees in the city undercover) has bees in it right now.  I will try rigging something up like you guys said and take a frame with bees on it.

Thanks, Steve

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:53:25 pm »
just read a thing about cutting out queen cells and then pinning them into the new hive.  there was no nuc involved, but i don't remember what the rest of it said.  maybe a search on here if someone else wrote or read about it?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DavePaulson

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:46 pm »
That would work fine don't move them until a day or two before they hatch. Treat them gentle. The cooler method I mean.

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:25:34 pm »
just read a thing about cutting out queen cells and then pinning them into the new hive.  there was no nuc involved, but i don't remember what the rest of it said.  maybe a search on here if someone else wrote or read about it?

I did look before I posted, but wasn't able to find anything.  I just looked again.  Let me know if you find it.  I thought this would be a common question.  Thanks guys.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 02:31:15 pm »
I was given a queen cell at the field day last weekend, I just brought it home in the car so I hope its fine.
The guy was giving away some queen cells after his grafting and queen marking demo.
The cell was in that outer plastic cage but I didn't have anything else to transport it in so I hope its fine.
I put it in the hive as soon as I got home.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:53:13 am »
Do it the way we used to back in the 60's, put them in a small match box and slip them in your pocket.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything