Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New guy, with some newbie questions  (Read 1930 times)

Offline wunderdawg

• New Bee
New guy, with some newbie questions
« on: April 05, 2009, 12:52:31 pm »
Ok..........As promised, I have newbie questions.  After checking a few suppliers, I noticed that some have already sold out of 2009 package bees.  Am I starting too late in the season?  I live in north Texas, about 60 miles north of Dallas.  I think we may have one more freeze left, and I was waiting for the weather to settle, but now I am wondering if I have waited too late.  Does anybody know of any local suppliers in this area?  
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving may not be for you.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New guy, with some newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:54 pm »
packages need to be ordered early. we order through our beekeeping supply store in February.  that said, you  may still be able to get one or two if there is a local place.  very often, the store in my area will have extra packages.
you should be able to find nucs.  they are a little more expensive, but they are a great way to start. 

try superpages.com and start calling beekeeping supply places in your area.  they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 02:18:39 pm »
http://www.rweaver.com/

A friend and mentor has been buying from them for many years. He depends on their bees for his beekeeping operation.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:23:55 pm »
You pretty much have to have your packages ordered by January around here.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:43:14 pm »
 Don't forget about your local beekeeping clubs. I know there are some extremely strong beekeeping groups in Texas. In our technology dependant world now days people seem to forget or choose not to interact in person.
 Look up your local group. Suppliers often order extra packages to fill an order or a Beekeeper might order extra packages because he has a borderline hive. Either way both will have extra packages if your lucky. If not its a good way to find someone with nucs for sale.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 06:54:01 pm »
Don't forget about your local beekeeping clubs. I know there are some extremely strong beekeeping groups in Texas. In our technology dependant world now days people seem to forget or choose not to interact in person.
 Look up your local group. Suppliers often order extra packages to fill an order or a Beekeeper might order extra packages because he has a borderline hive. Either way both will have extra packages if your lucky. If not its a good way to find someone with nucs for sale.
Most beekeeping clubs have programs and/or beekeepers focused on helping new beekeepers. As IABeeMan said, many times members place orders "just in case" and have extra. Other times, a member may be willing to make a split just to help a newbee. The Internet is a great source of beekeeping info, but nothing beats having a couple local mentors.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 10:46:22 pm »
Hey wonderdawg!
 PM me!..Im in Wichita Falls, about 140 miles or so north of Dallas, right on the red river almost!
I know a guy who I talked to last week who has some nucs for 50 dollars. I can give you his Phone number if you like!

your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »
I make it a habit of ordering my packages right after Christmas, saves a lot of hassle and Christmas is a good reminder.  Kind of like changing the batteries in the smoke alarms when you switch from Standard time to Daylight Savings time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything