Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeening  (Read 4325 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Requeening
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:58:39 pm »
I ordered three survivor queens from Purvis Brother's. They should arrive June sometime. This should be in middle of flow. My questions are many, but I'll ask a few right now.
I want to replace one queen and make two nucs from my very strong hive w/ remaing two queens. Can I take two nucs from one hive? ( know it will hurt honey production). What if I cant find the queen I'm replacing, or cant find the queen when moving frames from brood chamber to nuc and I dont know which frame she is on? I have found the queen before, but I will be looking for an unmarked queen amongst two deeps. Thanx in advance as I'm sure I will have more requeening questions as I get closer to the date.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline likes2grill

• Dan
  • House Bee
    • D's Bees
Re: Requeening
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 03:55:26 pm »
You can narrow it down to one deep by putting on the queen excluder and see what deep she is in. Then start your look for her.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:18:13 pm »
hmmm, the oposite, you'll get a bigger yield!
all the grown up bees (pasture) ill return to the original hive, while the nurse bees will remain there. read M. Bushes page for more information about flow-nucs, i just told the main thing.

as for finding her...go through one deep twice, then concele this deep, than the other...there's not much to it but too look very closely, and if you can get an extra pair of eyes or more, get them :-D

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:32:41 pm »
>Can I take two nucs from one hive? ( know it will hurt honey production).

Actually that depends on when your flow is, but if your flow is just starting then and if you make the nucs up with OPEN brood, you many get MORE honey.

> What if I cant find the queen I'm replacing, or cant find the queen when moving frames from brood chamber to nuc and I dont know which frame she is on?

Then it will be a risk to put the cage in.  If you can't find her, I'd put the queen cages in a nice quiet dark closet and give them a drop of water every day.  Wait two days and go back look for queen cells and you'll know which one is queenless.  In four days, the queenless one will have no eggs, because they will all have hatched.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 01:06:19 pm »
MB thanx as usual. I will start looking two days before, and if i find her either contain or remove her. If I fail, I'll have another shot the day they arrive.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 03:47:13 pm »
bought queens, official queen breeders? never again, thank you!
so, like i've been saying since ever, 2 of my hives were bought from a certified queen breeder. he even exports them to France!!!
guess which of my 5 hives were the worst?
so...one had NO sense of "keeping the hive clean" plus it had terrible chalk brood, i guess cleaning behaviour and chalk brood hand in hand, maybe not anyway, that hive is raising a new queen from another hive.
well today i checked my hives, and guees what i found out? the other one is superceeding, i mean.. :shock: i saw some eggs and capped queen cells, so i know they're not swarming, plus they're building combs.
anyway, what i'd like to know is, can i cut out the superceding queen cells and put in the queen cells from the other hive (desired breed). i mean, i guess it's ok but still have to make sure. the queen cells are approximetly the same age, day or two different.

talk about spreading bad reputation...

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 06:32:30 am »
maybe i wrote too much and you don't like to read a bunch of nonsense, to cut the chase

1 hive is raising new queens
1 hive is superceeding
can i take queen cells from the queen raising hive and replace the supercedure cells?
i need this information ASAP!
thanks

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:31:39 pm »
>can i take queen cells from the queen raising hive and replace the supercedure cells?

Of course.  If you want to cut the cells off of the frame because there are several, I'd wait until the tips are a little papery.  This is about 14 days from when the egg was laid and the cells and the queens are much tougher.  You'll have to check every day until you see them at that stage.  Remove all the cells of the queens you don't want, of course.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 03:54:24 pm »
hi!
i'm probably gonna requeen a hive and now i'm gathering information on how to be at most succesful!. well..i MAY know most of the details and some of them just confuse me.
so...i take out the old queen and...around ten attendants-just in case, i leave them queenless for one day, or up to five days? someone suggested me 5 days, and then i add the queen with the plastic cage-so bees have to chew their way to her throu the comb. would it be better if it take the comb from this queens hive and insert it?, so.-.i would insert comb with bees, queen and some brood, would it be better?
now, the thing that amazed me the most..someone said i should sprinkle a little coffe on the bottom. now..i know that caffeine arrouses the bees, so..how does coffe help*!*! would lemongrass be even better?

anyway, please advise!

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:39:59 pm »
I would go with no more than 2 days. They  realize they are queenless within 24 to 48 hours. 5 days and they may start queen cells. Remember it takes 3 days for eggs  to hatch, those last two days could be critical.
doak

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 10:50:53 am »
>i leave them queenless for one day, or up to five days? someone suggested me 5 days

I prefer overnight (12 hours) but 24 works ok.  More than that, and they have queen cells which may encourage them to NOT accept the queen.

> and then i add the queen with the plastic cage-so bees have to chew their way to her throu the comb. would it be better if it take the comb from this queens hive and insert it?

Is this a push in cage of some kind?

> so.-.i would insert comb with bees, queen and some brood, would it be better?

If it's a push in cage I would put it over some emerging brood.  If the hive has none, I would take some from another hive.
-------------------

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:16:55 am »
the thing is...the hive from which i'm taking the queen out, is superceding, when supercedure is done and the new queen is laying, i'll take the old one out-i have them in seperate deeps with double queen excludor. also, this hive is very strong so..i actually have to weaken it-by taking out some brood, and it will be much easyer to get the queen behind the push in cage if i do it as i notice her.
oh..no one has ever said it, do i have to remove the bees from the comb i'm adding to the other hive or will it be even better, since there'll be much more this queens pheromones?

http://www.logar-trade.si/artimages/5304m.jpg
i guess it's called a push-in cage, yeah.

would it be better to introduse with a queen cage?
http://www.cebelarstvo-grom.com/m/slike/maticnica.jpg

oh off course, this all can take place if the supercedure goes like i want to :-D

anything