Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trapout - Bondo All-Purpose Putty?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Trapout - Bondo All-Purpose Putty?
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:03:02 pm »
Has anyone tried the Bondo All-Purpose Putty to seal holes or cracks for a trapout?
Didn't want to mix quik-ret/cement so thought maybe a bucket of Bondo All-Purpose Putty will do the join.
Also, use the same stuff to fill/seal the hollow afterwards.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Trapout - Bondo All-Purpose Putty?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »
Bondo, sand, prime, and paint.   Never tried it on a trap out.   So what year and model car are the bees in?    :-D

Sounds like a lot of work, but I think it should work.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
Re: Trapout - Bondo All-Purpose Putty?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:08:45 pm »
I don't think I'd use Bondo for a trap-out as it continues to outgas toxic fumes for some time during and after drying.  Definitely toxic to humans, don't know about bees.  Because the drying time is longer than silicone, I'd be worried about poisoning the bees in the cavity if the drying byproducts are bee-toxic.

Might work better for filling the hollow, but such a large volume of the stuff would take an awfully long time to dry (and be more expensive than alternatives).  Expanding foam (Great Stuff) won't work for a trapout because the bees can chew through it, but it should work to fill the hollow afterwards because the goal is just to make the site unattractive for future swarms to settle in.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

anything