Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: risky...  (Read 1394 times)

Offline TerraJoy

• New Bee
risky...
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:58:35 pm »
I had some advice given to me and now I am not so sure if it was right or wrong... I was told to re-queen a hive that has been having a hard time... So yesterday I was introducing a new queen to this hive. I added a queen excluder and shook out all the bees on the ground in front of the hive in to make sure that if I did have a virgin queen she would not be allowed back in and my new queen would have a chance to become established.  All went well until I returned a few hours later and noticed that about a thousand or so bees were underneath the stick I had set up for them to get back into the hive.  So I put them into another hive that had a little drawn comb.  This all seem very risky and I hope that I don't lose both the hives now.

Today there are a handful of bees hanging outside both hive entrances... what do you think they are going to do?...shoot...

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: risky...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:13:36 pm »
Looks like the bees that stayed outside are with their queen ?

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 04:36:58 pm »
What do you mean by "hard time"?  I think the first question is whether you actually needed to re-queen.

Why did you use a queen excluder?

If you are going to keep the second small hive, you should add a frame of eggs so they can make a queen if they don't have one.

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 04:51:18 pm »
did you kill your old queen first or dump her out?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:03:00 pm »
Alot of questions:

How did you introduce the new queen--- just shake out the bees and add new queen? Did you introduce the queen in a cage first for a few days?

Queen excluder over entrance? A virgin queen is sometimes able to slip through an excluder.

I have heard of shaking bees away from hive for a laying worker but not to introduce a queen to a hive
that you suspect a virgin queen in?

Seems you have kinda a wait and see situation now on the original hive. Check the original hive for the new queen in a few days.

What are your intentions with the small hive?? Don't think they will make it with just drawn comb. Search it for a virgin queen if possible to spot. Add a frame of brood with eggs to see if they try and draw a queen cell. If they try to draw a queen cell they are queenless. Then decide you intentions with the new hive. Maybe combine back with the original. Depends on your resources.

If they don't try to draw a queen cell a queen is present. Then you need to decide if you have enough resources to continue with the smaller hive (as in give it more brood if possible). Do you have a flow coming on? Do you need to feed the new hive (probably yes) at least until established?

John 3:16

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:03:40 pm »
The small hive DOES have a queen. Find her and pinch her. Then combine the bees with the original hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:22:11 pm »
>The small hive DOES have a queen.

I would say so too based on info given ---- but finding a virgin queen (which was mentioned in the post) if indeed that is what it is, could be a bit tough. And I was trying to give an option to keep the virgin queen, if one present and therefore have a queen on hand!

If the queen was failing from the start and never saw queen cells or had a swarm etc. then most probably the old queen is the one with the small pile of bees and indeed pinch her and combine.
John 3:16

anything