Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lesson Learned  (Read 3263 times)

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
Lesson Learned
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »
That was a very stupid thing I did yesterday.  :evil:  I decieded to pull weeds around my beehives, but was stupid was the fact that I did it with out my vile.  Yep you guessed it... right in the eyebrow.  Now it looks like I went a couple rounds in a prize fight.  Now the wife doesn't find it funny, since when someone asks what happened, I say:  "The wife got drunk and took it out on me....  HELP SHE'S GOING TO KILL ME!!!!" :evil:
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Lesson Learned
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:37:22 pm »
Stings on the face especially around the eyes swell pretty good.

I feel your pain.....been there!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:07:24 pm »
That sting don't hurt. Wait until the cast iron frying pan hits right on top of it. THAT'LL HURT.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »
That was a very stupid thing I did yesterday.  :evil:  I decieded to pull weeds around my beehives, but was stupid was the fact that I did it with out my vile.  Yep you guessed it... right in the eyebrow.  Now it looks like I went a couple rounds in a prize fight.  Now the wife doesn't find it funny, since when someone asks what happened, I say:  "The wife got drunk and took it out on me....  HELP SHE'S GOING TO KILL ME!!!!" :evil:

Hahahahahaha, I used a similar story a few months back when I got stung just under the eye - told everyone that 'the missus beats me when I do something she doesn't like'.
She did some accupuncture on me (including needles in my face  :shock: and it reduced the symptoms substantially).

ML

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:31:12 pm »
My wife takes brazillian jiu jitsu  in the afternoons and kick boxing in the mornings, so she is normally bruised up head to toe.   Last week she had a doctors appointment, and the doctor pulled her to the side and said, "Is there something you need to tell me?"  You may laugh, but if the cops show up one night........

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 10:43:28 pm »
We are new to this. I've mowed around the hives, replaced sugar syrup and actually observed bees and helped them back into the hive in sloggers, shorts, wearing blue and without a veil.

They don't seem to be too bothered by me.

Are my day's numbered? It's just so hot to gear up for such small tasks that take so little time.

Sorry for your pain. I rely on my contacts so taking one in the eye would not be ideal.

Hope you are better soon.

Sarita

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:58:18 pm »
You can dress as scantily as you wish, but PLEASE use smoke. If you don't, then yes, your days are numbered. They will attack in mass one day, and you won't have time to retreat.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:56:23 pm »
"You can dress as scantily as you wish, but PLEASE use smoke."
LOL.

I will try my very best going forward.

We have not gotten the smoker thing down. It seems to kick on to full gear just as we are done and taking off our gear.
Of course..we don't really need it...then.

Duly noted. You will hear no griping out of me if I get stung unprotected.

Thanks!
Sarita

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 02:20:51 am »
Yes, be careful. Decided one day last year that I could pop up  the top really quickly from the back of the hive to remove an empty ziplock baggie. I wasn't protected and I got hit just below my eye. What a bad swelling that was. I am always careful now.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:21:07 am »
Yes, be careful. Decided one day last year that I could pop up  the top really quickly from the back of the hive to remove an empty ziplock baggie. I wasn't protected and I got hit just below my eye. What a bad swelling that was. I am always careful now.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 02:54:52 am »
Oh sure it's all fun and games when you're male...  Took a spill from my mare when we were buzzed by a Canada goose.  Broke my nose - TWO beautiful shiners and abrasions.  Live in a small town, went grocery shopping.  Everything got real quiet.  At checkout told the cashier "Fell off my horse, broke my nose, husband DOES NOT beat me."  Had visions of Social Services showing up at my door...

But I always wear veil and at least a sweatshirt, even though it make me, well, sweat.  If nothing else it's worth the three days of NOT scratching. :-D

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:12 am »
Yes, be careful. Decided one day last year that I could pop up  the top really quickly from the back of the hive to remove an empty ziplock baggie. I wasn't protected and I got hit just below my eye. What a bad swelling that was. I am always careful now.

The same thing happened to me two weeks ago.  My eye was swelled shut for a day even with continuous doses of Benedryl, and puffy for another 3.  The girls will teach you to be careful.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 11:05:07 am »
I know what you mean Greenbtree.  Last year my wife fell down the back stairs cutting her face; she needed 30 stitches to close it.  Well when we got to the emergency the doctor decided that he need to call the cops for her safety.  After getting interrogated for 3 hrs they booked me and I spent the weekend in jail.  Long story short everything worked out in the end.  I sued and they settled out of court.  Know one bothered to check my knuckles to see if they were bruised since the amount of damage to my wifes face would have hurt my knuckles too.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 12:34:04 pm »
Smoke, always, and at least wear a veil.  One sting in the eye and you could be blind.  My wife found out the hard way.  Did a cutout yesterday, and she was visiting with the homeowner on the other end of the house.  I warned her on several occassions to wear her veil, but she "doesn't need it because bees don't bother me."  After one sting high on the cheek her face looks like she did a couple of rounds in the ring.  The swelling is still pretty good this morning.  Some people just have to learn the hard way, I guess.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:27:32 pm »
I know what you mean Greenbtree.  Last year my wife fell down the back stairs cutting her face; she needed 30 stitches to close it.  Well when we got to the emergency the doctor decided that he need to call the cops for her safety.  After getting interrogated for 3 hrs they booked me and I spent the weekend in jail.  Long story short everything worked out in the end.  I sued and they settled out of court.  Know one bothered to check my knuckles to see if they were bruised since the amount of damage to my wifes face would have hurt my knuckles too.

No wonder you became a lawyer :-D :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:03 am »
"You can dress as scantily as you wish, but PLEASE use smoke."
LOL.

I will try my very best going forward.

We have not gotten the smoker thing down. It seems to kick on to full gear just as we are done and taking off our gear.
Of course..we don't really need it...then.

Duly noted. You will hear no griping out of me if I get stung unprotected.

Thanks!
Sarita

Sarita, fire up your smoker first thing before you do anything else in the bee yard. When you're ready to go in it should be ready to go.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »
The smoker is usually the first thing we do when we start out for our inspections.

We just need more practice I guess.

anything