Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Indiana Production  (Read 2877 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Indiana Production
« on: July 11, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »
  I live in West Central Indiana not far from the Ill. Line.  Last year we got no crop. The hives were so light we just left it all for them and fed as long as weather alowed.  We still lost 4 out of 5 at all yards.  The winter before in was 1 in 3 loss but we did get a crop that fall.
  This year we had a better spring but still no real production. New hives aren't building up and old hives are barely out of the brood boxes and into the super.
  Bees are survivor stock from local colonies so they are adapted to local conditions.  We use 10 frame deeps for the brood boxes and Ill. Med. Supers for the rest. A couple local beeks with quite a bit larger ops have folded in the last year so the competition is down I would think.
  No bug problems. No predation, no die offs from pesticides, good brood patterns.
  Is it just Indiana? Or just bad luck.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Re: Indiana Production
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 02:07:02 pm »
I am still a rookie, Wayne, but my bees seem to be doing better than last year (first year).  I sure hope so, anyway.  Tons of forage, I think, but last year was shocking for a newbie. 

I am in Northeastern Indiana, if that helps.
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
I'm in NY and having trouble getting production this year.  A lot of splits and growth but not much honey. 

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »
Is it just Indiana? Or just bad luck.
An hour's drive in Indiana can make a world of difference. I've had summers where I fed from spring to fall, while beeks 40 miles away were pulling record honey crops. Last summer I had great harvests while those same folks were complaining about empty supers. (For the record, 2009 in Indiana was a terrible year, with about half the average honey harvest.)

A few lean years can be discouraging, but hang in there. There's always hope that next year will be a record harvest.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »
This year started off better, but since one of my most promising hives swarmed (more than once) I ain't holding my breath. 

I went through my hives yesterday.  I only have three that have any possibility of a surplus.  All of the others are nucs or new.  The three that have potential are not going gangbusters, though.  One just now has a super, and the other two have one full with a 2nd started.  It does not look to me like I will have even three full supers total. (all deeps, cause that is all I have).  Still would be better than last year. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 06:30:54 pm »
I just finished up bottling 90 lbs off my hive from last year and was able to put medium supers on my two new hives.  So I guess everything is going great this year for me. :-D
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 07:44:20 pm »
are your new hive already 2 deep hive bodies full?  I live in NY so they need that much to bring them thru the winter. :(

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 08:21:12 pm »
are your new hive already 2 deep hive bodies full?  I live in NY so they need that much to bring them thru the winter. :(

Yep.  They have fully drawn out the 2 deeps and have filled them with nectar.  I should have put the medium supers on about a week or 2 ago.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:17:44 am »
WOW!  They are doing great!  Mine are just starting to get into the mediums in NY.  Thanks :)