Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Canadian beekeeping problem  (Read 1562 times)

Offline binglis

• New Bee
Canadian beekeeping problem
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:04 am »
Hello All,
I have successfully wintered a hive, in Souther Ontario, Canada....  Yippee!!!
In the fall, I left a super of honey on the top (of two deeps...), so there was plenty to eat.

Here's the problem...
Both deeps now have brood in them. I have been feeding for a month, and population is growing well. There is a lot of burr comb, in the hive, and I have removed 'some' of it. I have read it is important not to 'disturb' the hive structure (brood surrounded by pollen, surrounded by nectar...).
With the brood being in both deeps, can I split this hive, and use each deep as a bottom deep, in two seperate hives. If so, what is the best method? I am not sure I can get queens at this time... If I can split, will the 'queenless' hive, raise a queen?

All comments are most welcome, and I thank you in advance,
binglis

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Re: Canadian beekeeping problem
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:52:48 am »
yes yes and yes.  Split them before they swarm....

Probably your best method is when you split the hives just make sure each box you end up with has a frame of eggs in it.  That way the girls will make their own queen with the eggs if the queen is not present in that box.....

Simply pull out brood bee and a bit of food for each split.  If you want a strong split then make sure you pull atleast 5 frames of brood for the split.....
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:00:10 am »
Yes, it sounds like split time. If your temps are up and flow near don't forget to add honey supers on top. That hives sounds like its very close to swarming out. I would do it asap.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:12:43 pm »
>With the brood being in both deeps, can I split this hive, and use each deep as a bottom deep, in two seperate hives.

Yes.  You can split them by the box.

> If so, what is the best method?

I'd put a bottom board down on each side of the current hive and put one on each.

> I am not sure I can get queens at this time... If I can split, will the 'queenless' hive, raise a queen?

Do you have drones?  If so, yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything