Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid Trickling  (Read 11421 times)

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Re: Oxalic Acid Trickling
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 02:57:11 pm »

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 04:16:59 pm »

http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/research/oxalic/oxalic-0-nf.htm

In that site beekeeper split 2-box hive. That is not possible because often boxes are clued with burr. When you put back boxes, hundreds of bees will be crushed.  And OA affect as well if you dribble in even if you do not see bees in forst box.

OA is not legal in USA. - Is it legal to drive car too fast?  Yeah, all will be boiled in oil after all.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 11:50:02 pm »
My hives are not so glued together that the two hive bodies cannot be pried apart fairly easy. Last season they were split apart and OA applied to both sections that contained bees. Since OA can be applied down to about 32ºF or 0º C, and if it is applied at about that temperature, and the bees are very lightly smoked prior to opening the hive, most of them will simply remain where they are. If you are crushing hundreds of bees, well you need to be more careful! :lol:

(Finsky, have you received any snow in your region yet? Only a trace amount a few times here in Anchorage, but then it has melted.)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 01:16:32 am »
   So would OA cause the bees to become stripless by the bleaching action?  If they happen to be on the wood...that is... ;)
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 01:30:09 am »
and the bees are very lightly smoked prior to opening the hive, most of them will simply remain where they are.

Dick, it does fine with your hives if you have 2-box colonies!  Alaska rules! ... Have you insulated boxes?

On cold weather  bees are in ball and I do not use any smoke. After disturbance hive warms up and temp may rise to 40C.

(Finsky, have you received any snow in your region yet? Only a trace amount a few times here in Anchorage, but then it has melted.)

Forecast has promised first snow storm to southern Finland on Sunday.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 10:20:26 am »
Personally, if the bees are in the winter cluster, I would never, ever even consider to use smoke on them.  They need to be undisturbed during their wintertime clustering.  Oxalic acid trickling is about the only disturbance that in my eyes is acceptable.  When they are smoked, they are disturbed terribly, and like Finsky says, they will break cluster.  This in my eyes, again, is not good.  This is my opinion and I am stickin' to it.

We smoke the bees to prevent them from flying at us.  When they are in the winter cluster, they have no intention of breaking out of their warm little huddle, why would they?  Yes, of course you will always have some rogue bees that will break the cluster when alarmed, that is their job, but for the most part, just wear some protective gear if you are worried about the bee stings.

The job of the smoke is to mask the alarm pheromones and also to engage the bees in eating honey.  The more smoke, the more honey they eat, and yes, they do eat honey when they are smoked, we have all seen that.  The smoke is two fold in its reaction with the bees.

Hmmm.....not too sure where this post was going, just, as I see Ted says so many times, thinking out loud.  Maybe more thoughts will come into my mind later.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 11:09:29 am »
  This is my opinion and I am stickin' to it.

................  Cindi

And further more ...bees are so seeping in winterball that they do not react on smoke

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 02:02:09 pm »
Come on, you guys! Stop beating up on me! I wrote that I only lightly smoke the bees. I didn't say that I pumped smoke in the hive as if it was tear gas! OK, next time I won't smoke them. But, if they break out of their cluster and come roaring out of the hive at me, well you're going to hear from me in no uncertain terms.  :lol:

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 02:53:26 pm »
But, if they break out of their cluster and come roaring out of the hive at me, well you're going to hear from me in no uncertain terms.  :lol:

Take weather -30C and when they attack,  they will freeze in half way to your face. If fart freezes there into pills, surely will a bee.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 05:02:09 pm »
Dick, my deepest apology if you thought we were picking on you.  That was not the intention whatsoever, again, if it was perceived this way, I am sorry.  I didn't think that you fumagated  ;) :) them either, I pretty much knew that you only used some smoke.  It is so not necessary when clustered when it is really cold.  I just wanted this to be clear enough that our forum friends didn't need to use it during these deep, dark winter days.  Dick, have a great day, again, not meant you to feel like beating you up, wonderful day, too.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2007, 11:00:32 pm »
>So when I go to bleach my frames in my hives I can only do this once a year???

If you trickle.  If you vaporize you can bleach them as often as you like.  :)

>So does this also mean there in no mite treatment like Thymol in the spring time??

This says that Apilife Var has bad effects on the reproductive viability of drones and queens:
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-08162007-092313/unrestricted/lmburley.pdf
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2007, 12:40:04 am »
Take weather -30C and when they attack,  they will freeze in half way to your face. If fart freezes there into pills, surely will a bee.

That seems it might be a little to cold to treat with OA  :shock:

Dick, my deepest apology if you thought we were picking on you.

Now come on. I was joking.

.......oh, you were too I’ll bet.....  :lol:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2007, 11:42:47 am »
Dick, nope, I seriously thought that you felt bad  :( :).  Wonderful day, Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 11:59:50 am »
Dick, nope, I seriously thought that you felt bad  :( :).  Wonderful day, Cindi

Remember Dick phenomenon: talents on knees!  ... Australians love collective poppy cutting

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 12:01:36 pm »
 :?

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 02:11:42 pm »

Offline bberry

• House Bee
  • Playing with wool is good for your soul
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2007, 12:53:57 pm »
Ok, so we have "frame bleaching" confusion, freezing farts and something about Aussies on their knees??? :? :evil: I love this site-you never know where a posting will go.

anything