Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Vac Question - Time before unoccupied Broodcomb suffers Chillbrood  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
I've a few cutouts and a few wretched butcheries. So I'm building a Bee Vac.

Once I Vac the bees I wondered about my time issues. How long can the brood comb survive before it fatally chills?

Can I Vac bees, pop the brood in a box, drive it for a few hours and then put the bees back in.  What about 12 hours?  Surely 24 hours kills it?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
An answer is required.  Beautiful days in our great lives, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
I can't give you an exact time,  but what works well for me is that I cut out the brood comb, put it in frames and put the frames in a polystyrene nuc with attached bees.   I have gone 6-8 hours with this method without issue, and expect could go longer.  With my bee vac, I add the brood to the bees in the vac before I travel home.

Obviously outside temperature plays a big part, but I don't attempt cut-outs when the temperature is too low.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything