Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is the best foundation for deep hive?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
What is the best foundation for deep hive?
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:51:17 pm »
Hi.  8-)I am new to beekeeping and I want to start out with 2 hives in the spring. What would be the best thing to do? Should I put plastic frames in the deep hive where the queen is going to be so she could start laying eggs right away. Or, should I put regular frames with plastic foundation or wax for them to start building their own wax or is bee wax better than plastic foundation? :? :? :?
Thanks Art

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Re: What is the best foundation for deep hive?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »
  I am running foundationless at the moment. The bees don't care, however you might need to fix some crossed combs. Also brand new comb will break easily if tilted onto it side or bumped very hard.Do a search for foundationless frames and you will get more info than you can read.
  Besides the initial expense of plastic, most people recommend replacing combs about every 3-5 years, so there would be a reoccuring expense as well.
  Wax foundation is reported to have chemicals in it left over from mite trearments before it was recycled into foundation.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:02:05 pm »
Hi.  8-)I am new to beekeeping and I want to start out with 2 hives in the spring. What would be the best thing to do? Should I put plastic frames in the deep hive where the queen is going to be so she could start laying eggs right away. Or, should I put regular frames with plastic foundation or wax for them to start building their own wax or is bee wax better than plastic foundation? :? :? :?

In the brood,starter strips and let them build their own.In the suppers,wire wax.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:44:45 pm »
It depends on your philosophy.  If you want natural, foundationless is hard to beat.  If you want small cell and don't mind plastic, the PF100 frames from Mann Lake are 4.95mm and cheap.  If you want small cell and you like wax and don't like plastic, then there are a lot of choices.  To me the weight of the box (deeps full of honey are 90 pounds) and the cell size are the issues I pay attention to.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:33:14 am »
Thank You for your reply  :-D ;)
Thanks Art

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:44:32 am »
if you want regular foundation and just want to know who has the best, I like Walter T Kelly's foundation the best, it is a little thicker than others.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:40 am »
Ha!  That is a trick question!

The BEST foundation is whatever you like to use best.

My best foundation is whatever is cheapest and easiest, at this point it is the PF100 all plastic frames/foundation.  Nice straight combs that last forever, well at least the foundation....

Close second best would be plastic in wood frames, followed by wired wax, then foundationless.

All drawn plastic sounds nice but as with all plastic frames there are acceptance issues.  Never tried it.

I'd actually recommend trying all of the above if you can, although mixing plastic foundation and wax foundation can be trouble.
Rick

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:40 am »
Should I put plastic frames in the deep hive where the queen is going to be so she could start laying eggs right away.

If you are referring to Honey Super Cell fully drawn plastic frames, I don't think it will help the queen start laying quicker.  New HSC frames take a while for the queen to accept and start laying.  Also keep in mind that the wax foundation doesn't need to be fully drawn for the queen to start laying.  She will lay as soon as the bees start drawing the cells, and the bees will continue to draw the cells while the egg hatches and larvae grow and will have the cell fully drawn by the time they need to be capped.

Just make sure you feed them syrup so they can produce the wax needed to draw the comb.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline kdm

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 03:35:28 pm »
 I agree with TWT. I like wired wax from Kellys with frames cross wired & embeded.

anything