Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This One Has Me Stumped  (Read 14662 times)

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
This One Has Me Stumped
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:00:26 pm »
I got a call about a colony that is inside the concrete blocks that make up the upper portion of the basement wall....it is also part of the block foundation of the tri-level house. There was a chipped block that allowed entry into the basement wall, which is all concrete blocks. The comb is in the holes of the concrete blocks and extends 'who only knows how far'. Tearing out the blocks is not an option....so I was thinking of doing a trapout? But this too is not going to be easy:

They do not want anything 'glued' to the side of the foundation on the side of the house....so that means that using a cone to trap them out is not an option. They also do not want me to place a hive body or nuc near the house and told me that I could put a 'hose' or pipe in the hole and 'pipe the bees' away from the house, as they do not want it looking 'junky'.....and ruining the looks of the house! I would have to run a hose for the bees to exit the colony at least 20 feet away. I never had to deal with anything like this before. Most people are okay about having a nuc or hive body there for a trapout...in this case, they are not going to allow it.

I really am not sure how to deal with this one. Any ideas?

Brenda

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: This One Has Me Stumped
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:20:48 pm »
Those are the very easiest ones to do. Just quote the paragraph below...

Thank you for the call. The bees will not harm your block, but will help you have a better garden and flower bed. Enjoy them. If you see a swarm the size of a basketball hanging on a low tree or bush each spring, please call me again and I will pick them up for you.  Thank You.

9 times out of 10 they get unpicky real quick. The 10th time, I let them keep their bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »
wow....you go to 10??   :-X

i agree.  it's not worth it.  chances are, nothing you could do would make them happy anyway.  let them call around and find out that no one will take the job, or it will cost them a fortune. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:07:38 pm »
Yup, some people's houses you shouldn't even touch.  They have given you all the signs - heed them.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 01:08:14 pm »
That sure is a tough one, it looks as if you have been given some good suggestions!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:29:35 pm »
They probably think that they are doing YOU a favor by calling you to come take the FREE bees that are obviously worth lots of money because all of the bees are disappearing and almost extinct and the few left are probably worth a FORTUNE!!!!

They'll call the exterminator or pour wasp spray in there, a neat and clean solution.   Just like everything in life should be.

Don't forget that they are just bees...it makes us feel bad to have to let them go, but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Rick
Rick

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:31:37 pm »
In my electrical experience, I was often perturbed by people who were intolerant of the process(es) needed to accomplish the project they wanted. once I was working on my own it was easy to tell them "My methods have been developed over XX years of experience and are the industry standard for the best balance between consideration for the home you live in, other expenses which may be incurred, and  timely execution of the work.  I can try to be a little more creative to accommodate you, but in my experience -having to develop a method to avoid (cutting drywall, making noise, shutting off power, waiting to show up until 7PM, putting lights around your pool without cutting concrete... etc. etc.) will take more time and ultimately cost you much more money.
         I listened to suggestions from my customers because you never know when someone completely uninitiated to the procedures of 'that's just how it is' will suggest something in complete ignorance which is totally brilliant; but most of the time they were just being unrealistic and unwilling to listen to the professional.
   I think iddee said it with the most tact.
  (I would have been a bit more of a wiseacre I'm afraid)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline charles

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »
If they go the exterminator route, someone ought to tell them that they have to either seal up the hole and all entrances to that cavity perfectly, or find some way to remove the comb to keep new colonies out.

"I'll remove your bees for $100."
"Well, okay but there better not be any trouble."
"Okay, then I'll remove them for $400."
4 hives

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 02:02:41 pm »
let them call an exterminator.  this summer, when honey starts dripping down the basement wall, they will wish they'd put up with the "junky" look for a couple of weeks.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 02:33:54 pm »
many times these "types" of people want to see how far they can go and have control over whomever is working for them....I came across this a number of times while working as a nuisance wildlife control guy....you tell them what is needed and they get fussy.... just walk away and they will either run to get you back or they will call you back after their problem gets worse....and you charge them even more.  Id walk away and tell them to have a nice day...its not worth the aggrevation or money...becasue inevitably they will call you back time and time again because there are "still" bees flying around......

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »
God you got to love iddee's humor  :evil:
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 04:39:48 pm »
God you got to love iddee's humor  :evil:
Some may call it humor, I call it intelligence and experience!

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 07:43:25 pm »
I already have had the thoughts of telling them 'Good luck!' and walking away.
In fact, once they started telling me 'how to do my work' the red flags flew high. When I walked around to where the bees are, I was told to stay on the mulch and not walk on the grass!  :shock:

I have told them what I needed to do to get the bees gone...if they do not want to do it, maybe then I will tell them that it will be 'double the price' if I am called back...on second thought...they seem to know so much....let them deal with it! I do not think that they will be happy no matter what anyone does for them.

This is good, but then again scarey! The wife asked me what to do to make them stop flying around! She did not like seeing them in her flowers!  :shock: When I told her about bees pollenating fruits and veggies, she still thought that ALL BEES should be killed....that in these modern times, there should be machines to pollen fruits and things!  :?

My Grand Daddy used to say that you cannot have money and brains both....I see what he means.... :roll: These people are loaded and like to show it....they also think that bees are filthy dropping all of that honey all over the place....! They just happen to park their cars right in the flight line from the colony! That really is bee poop on their cars...they think that it is honey!  :evil:

I am going to wait until they call me back tonight.....then tell them that PERFECT SUGGESTION above! TY so much!

Brenda

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:14 pm »
You must be a very patient type to have put up with so much fluff from these obvious jerks.

The next major red flag you will see concerning these people should be their phone number on your caller ID.

My best advice to you is to not answer that call.

Nothing of any kind is worth the hassle of setting yourself up to be somebody's whipping post.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 08:26:49 pm »
I really have a very hot temper...with a short fuse too. I have just learned that over the years, it is this type of people that costs you business in the long run. The idea that they 'think' it is honey on their cars is good enough for me. With age comes wisdom.... :evil: and the chance to see her lick her finger and 'taste the honey' the bees dropped (in a cleansing flight) on her car!  :-D

Brenda

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 11:05:17 pm »
When they told me to stay on the mulch and off the grass I would have turned around and went back to the truck and drove off without saying a word. Just left them standing there wondering what in the heck just happened.

Run, run fast and far away from these nut jobs, they are nothing but trouble.

Just my thinking.............. I do have lots of time on my hands while I am working on my pollinating machine :-D

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 11:31:53 pm »
Well, they called me back.....and I told them I was not interested....so I got cussed out!  :shock: They hung up on me....and called back immediately, but I did not answer the phone....she left a message on my answering machine....she asked me what they should do?  :roll:

Brenda

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »
boy, i can think of a lot of answers to that question.  none of them could be posted here.  :jawdrop:
let them figure it out. 

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 12:01:35 am »
i would invite them to continue to "enjoy their bees"

let some other fool work with this one!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 12:18:10 am »
You must be a very patient type to have put up with so much fluff from these obvious jerks.

The next major red flag you will see concerning these people should be their phone number on your caller ID.

My best advice to you is to not answer that call.

Nothing of any kind is worth the hassle of setting yourself up to be somebody's whipping post.

...JP

Hate to say I told you so but... ^^^^^^^^^

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything