Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mary Beth's swarm  (Read 3960 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Mary Beth's swarm
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:56:03 pm »
This was a really nice sized swarm but the weather was nasty. Wet bees don't like to move much but we finally got them going. **Warning, some PG-13 language in the last scene**

http://youtu.be/Pn2BuWEv8-0

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: Mary Beth's swarm
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:07 am »
Lol Scott.  That reminded me of a Looney Tunes episode w/her Daffy Duck.

Great catch.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:36:44 am »
nice one; boy you gota throw you a coupla boxes in that truck
to bee or not to bee

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:15:45 am »
pretty neat.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:45:47 am »
Nice wet catch!!!  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:19:36 am »
Hey, I see you had a wet & sticky day! Great catch.

Maybe we'll do a commercial at Bud's for some of Mad Peggy's sweet & sticky bees.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:22:26 am »
I was just thinking you got the wrong colored umbrella :-D :-D

great save in the rain!!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:04:11 pm »
Thanks y'all! Bud, twice now in the last week I've brought a knife to a gun fight (only had a nuc with me instead of 10-framers) you'd think I'd learn huh? JP, I'd love to make some crazy videos with ya....be thinkin' some up!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:14 pm »
good catch yall.love the ending.by the way scott,caught the first swarm of the season,basketball size.this time they stayed put,not like the other one last week.did videoed it and will post it soon.      schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:22:12 pm »
I've been enjoying all of your videos checking out your channel on youtube.  Very entertaining and some great information.  I enjoy watching y'all work together and even involving your son.  Really cool.  My beekeeping mentor's favorite way to catch a swarm was with a plastic bucket like yours.  He drilled 1/8" holes all over it.  He was a pro at "herding" bees with his smoker.  When possible he'd cut the swarm, twig and all, from the tree, drop them in the bucket, seal it up, drive them home and hive them there.  You're only the second person I've seen do it that way.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:54 am »
Beyond, have you checked out the swarm buckets on a long pole? There's a couple of videos on here somewhere...maybe someone knows a link?

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:29:35 pm »
I've seen them but most folks only use them with a swarm high in a tree. My old mentor used buckets all the time.  Never shook a swarm into a hive body.  He's an electrician and kept the bucket on his work truck.  Ran into many swarms during his workday.  Kept a full smoker in the bucket in case he needed it.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 09:52:19 am »
Cool video scott. I don't think I would have done that in the rain.. too chicken!  I'm still waiting for the first swarm call.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
Great video.